A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Most Progressive Factor on Art?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Most Progressive Factor on Art?

Postby BiscuitsBridges » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:02 am

Hi!

I'm Bicuits, and I'm currently doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qaulification - look to the bottom for more info) and I've chosen the question (loosely) "What is the Most Progressive Factor in Art?"

I would really like to get anyone's opinon on this question... Or their opinions on what I've already thought about:

The ideas I've come up with so far:

Time itself

War and Peace - how you see more content in wartime, but (to me) it seems like there's more stylistic progress in peace time... I could be VERY wrong though

Attitudes - (Social and Political) or (attitudes towards art itself)

Connectivity - the increase in connection over the world... that impact

Availability - (of materials) (of teaching)

Wealth

Population

New styles of art

Geography and the amount of people in areas...

Rebellion / Revolutions...

If you have any thoughts on this please share!! haha :) Thanks!!

Biscuits

The EPQ is a personalised essay worth half an A level. You choose the topic and have to write 5000 words on that topic (as is the version of EPQ I've chose). It's like a university style essay in the fact that it's completely independent and you can only have help on the Log you create with the 5000 word essay. You are judged on content, style, knowledge base and the thinking/development behind it.

I would much like you all to help me improve me knowledge base; getting real opinions from people helps me to ascertain more marks and overall, as is the point of learning, a better understanding on a topic that I actually wish to follow.

Thanks again!! :)
BiscuitsBridges

Re: Most Progressive Factor on Art?

Postby Singular » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm

You have a very good start here. One thing I would add to your list is definitely the media.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby artauction » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks for sharing this great posts about the progressive factor on art, I found this information really helpful as well as informative.
artauction

Postby johncee » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 am

The question boils down to the the role of art or similar, the relation of art to humans. Keeping in mind it is a complex, rich, and changing world.
The earliest depictions of rock art (before cave art) was often a means of communicating something important or dangerous to humans, poisoned or good water, edible abundant game in the area - based on experience. After simpler forms the depictions progressed taking on a lyrical movement and spiritual conotations. Art has the ability to generalize knowledge and experience in graphic form. Whether about nature or human society, it is another means in a different more diverse form that talks to feelings and thoughts about life, love and death or what class in society has deprived people. The artist paints the world anew but it is a better world, a means of changing the world. The most progressive factor is it's abilty to get to uncover profound truths, particularly its deeper penetration and new knowledge into life. Some of the worst despots have been terrified about art and its explosive power.
johncee

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 pm

"The artist paints the world anew but it is a better world, a means of changing the world. The most progressive factor is it's ability to get to uncover profound truths, particularly its deeper penetration and new knowledge into life."
I think you hit it with this observation - Good Luck.
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johncee » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks, I think we can confirm and establish much of the passage quoted above "The artist paints the world anew" etc., because of the connection across the arts with poetry, literature, music, theatre, film, etc., And what makes the greatest impact on us, is a new profound truth drawn out that cuts into us - that is the aesthetic component. The highest aesthetic possible can only be the truth. If you think about that, what could possibly replace the truth? Invariably, that is why some films, books, paintings etc., live their own life within us. And the first aesthetic in our long evolution probably was colour.
johncee

Return to Art Discussion