A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

new to art & wondering if I actual should continue

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

new to art & wondering if I actual should continue

Postby jhnsnnkl » Tue May 29, 2012 8:44 am

Honestly, I've only just began to start drawing a little over four months ago. I've always enjoyed art but never tried my own hand at it. In fact the last art class I took was in elementary school. My family have been impressed in what I've done but they are family. I am loving to create these "doodles" and I'm considering trying to make the step from hobby to possibly a part time career in art but with no one around to judge my work, I don't know if I have what it really takes. I would love to know what some of you think, good or bad. I'm not young with a current nursing career and a familly so I don't need to waste my time trying to find classes or persuing something that turns out I've not got what it takes to success. (The anime drawing is not an original creation but rather I think based off an actual anime cartoon. My child's friend asked me to draw it for her and I gave her the original to take home and made a copy for myself to keep.)
Attachments
jhnsnnkl

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: new to art & wondering if I actual should continue

Postby Singular » Tue May 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Niki. All it takes is some practice. The anime drawing is actually pretty good. Drawing real portraits takes a lot of work to be good at. But you will definitely improve if you do work at it.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jhnsnnkl » Tue May 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement.
jhnsnnkl

Postby jenn_iam » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm

The best advice has already been given... Practice.. the second is, Don't give up. The abilty to draw something out of your head, and get it to look like what you had in mind (even if just slighly) is leaps ahead of those that cant. I would say, yes.. keep it up. I agree with Joe in that the Anime character is done well. As for the portrait work, that just takes practice, practice and more practice... :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Postby jhnsnnkl » Thu May 31, 2012 8:54 am

Thanks jenn. ive decided to stick with it and im looking into some classes now. This site is really nice and I have a feeling its going to be very helpful as I continue to work on pieces. Thanks again.
jhnsnnkl

Postby jenn_iam » Thu May 31, 2012 1:49 pm

There are some really great Drawing the Human figure/head out there, that could help you with your studies as well. or borrow an anatomy book at the library..clip of people in poses from magazines etc. I started a scrapbook, just of the poses, people, hands, feet, etc... clippings just to practice drawing from. Not always do you have access to draw from a model and anything helps. the Human figure is difficult to master, but not impossible. Check out to see if you have local Draped Figure Drawing sessions in your area. Here in Sacramento, we have Pompsicle. (you can find them on FB to get info, so you know what to look for in your area) and in Marysville, we have a Gallery that does a Sip N Sketch (which is basically the same thing) again you can find it on FB (Gallery34). If you can get to one of those on a regular basis, its inexpensive, fun and you get lots of practice in.

Cheers and good luck,
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Postby beakerless » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 am

I actually studied with a French art teacher when I was a teen who had me copy Michelangelo and Da Vinci to learn anatomy.
beakerless

Postby CocoWorldofArt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 am

hi, my name is Nicole. Yes never quit something you love even if you are bad. It takes dedication, hard work and especially able to take No's and criticism to make it as an artist. Please don't quit. You need more work on your realism, learn shading and placement. Go to you tube and look up how to some artist there really take time to show you step by step. Your manga is really good, better than what I can do..lol good luck and work hard. Practice
CocoWorldofArt

Postby beakerless » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:28 am

Also important ... have fun with art.
beakerless

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury