A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

first try at mixing markers and ink

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

first try at mixing markers and ink

Postby chrisand19 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:22 pm

I just kind of randomly did this until i felt it was complete...but why does it look cheesy to me?
Attachments
Chris Andrzejewski
make a difference,make a change
chrisand19

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: first try at mixing markers and ink

Postby Neal McDannel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 pm

When your inexperienced you can be such a harsh critique of yourself that it inhibits the creative process. Relax, count to 10 and have as much fun as possible. Don't worry about direction in your work. What interests you will take you ware your going. Don't be concerned with whether or not your making art. Take classes and be open to other influences. Don't hesitate to copy. Eventually, over time, with instruction and personal exploration, your individual approach to art will evolve.
Neal McDannel

Postby mhendrix » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Neal McDannel wrote:When your inexperienced you can be such a harsh critique of yourself that it inhibits the creative process. Relax, count to 10 and have as much fun as possible. Don't worry about direction in your work. What interests you will take you ware your going. Don't be concerned with whether or not your making art. Take classes and be open to other influences. Don't hesitate to copy. Eventually, over time, with instruction and personal exploration, your individual approach to art will evolve.

I very much agree with this statement. I'm very bad at that as well. I always take so long to paint something because I think it could look so much better.

I think this is very well done and doesn't look cheesy to me. It looks very much like comic book art work and it takes talent to do that. There's no way I could do anything like this. I love the colors in it and how you've put everything together.

Just try not to be so hard on yourself. Every little detail you see that you think looks wrong or out of place, might look fine to an outsider. :]
"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.' - Salvador Dali
mhendrix

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:14 pm

I do not think it looks Cheesy at all.... You have an 'out of the box' view of form, your composition is busy, but not un-reminiscent of some Pop-Art or Comic Art, which too is not bad. You have a strong sense of color, and your line quality from what I can tell, is well done. (Thin in some places, and more pronounced where exaggerated). Depending what your influences and interests are, art wise, will come out naturally in your work. It is natural to mimic somewhat, what you like, and as long as you still evolve and make it your own, there is nothing wrong with it.

I say, go with it. Keep cranking them out, you will see them develop to something that even 'Wow's you" in time. :) And above all, don't worry about whether others will like or not like your work, so much as have fun in the creativity. A viewer will know, when that enthusiasm is poured into the work. And, even if they wouldn't hang it on their wall, they can appreciate it for what it is.

Cheers.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)