A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

How much exposure is too much exposure?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Links to Social Networks Preferable?

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Linkable to Social Networks
100%
Registration First
No votes
No Links at All
No votes

Total votes : 1

How much exposure is too much exposure?

Postby Brucimus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey all, just wanted to get a little advice. I don’t know if this has been posted already but… As a writer/illustrator, I sometimes wonder if I should be able to allow people to link my site to places like Facebook or Myspace. With copyright a non-issue, would it be wise to link my works on social networking sites? …Or maybe ask them to register to my site before they can view my works?
Brucimus

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Frankly, I think we worry to much about people stealing our work. Fear of things is the greatest danger in life.
If folks want to steal your work. They'll try to find a way. And if you find out about it. There things you can do.
Art, or anything else for that matter. Is all about getting your work to as many people as you can. So don,t be your own worse enemy. Go for
oke.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: How much exposure is too much exposure?

Postby sculptor/etcher » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Please read the basics on copy right protection. It's on the web. You shouldn't have to worry about people stealing your ideas. They will if they want to.
sculptor/etcher

Re: How much exposure is too much exposure?

Postby LakeofGlass » Wed May 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Honestly, people don't worry enough about art theft. It runs rampant on Facebook. I see these "like" pages spam with various, beautiful pieces of art, however there's NO credit at all. I've seen many i was familiar with used on t-shirts without permission. And how about those Youtube videos? Friends of mine have confronted those people with permission issues, and they go on to give a long explanation of how it's okay for them to break copyright laws and steal that artwork, never giving credit.

The best way to protect your work is by adding a watermark. The only place I've seen anyone really do that is (sadly) deviantART. That's one of the few communities I've seen that offers a watermark for those who don't know how to do it themselves. It doesn't need to be big. It's just a signature, like on any other artwork from many ears ago. Just make sure it's in a spot that's important but can't be cropped or cloned out. That's where, "If they can steal it, they will" otherwise.

As for stealing "ideas," which isn't the same as stealing the ART, that can be stolen no matter what. The best you can do is contest it. If something is done similar, but not exact, to your work, they can still display that new piece of art.

sculptor/etcher wrote:Please read the basics on copy right protection. It's on the web. You shouldn't have to worry about people stealing your ideas. They will if they want to.

The poster is worried about art theft, not idea theft. Those are two different things. Stealing an idea would be overhearing someone's idea, and doing it before them. That can't be easily saved by basic copyright protection. That "creator's" copyright only goes so far, and doesn't cover like a registered copyright.
LakeofGlass

Return to Art Discussion