A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Did anyone make a sale through their website or ASC?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Did anyone make a sale through their website or ASC?

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun May 11, 2008 12:33 pm

So far I've been able to sell 3 works to someone I know personally and who only saw them on my website before making the decision to buy them. I always read that many artists sell their work directly through their website, but it hasn't happened to me. The number of visitors is constantly growing, but that's it.
Just wondering, how others are doing?
Erika Takacs

For Erika

Postby pehiatt » Sun May 11, 2008 3:23 pm

I sell at local and regional group show that have little or no commission.
I also sell prints and reproductions at Art Markets and sales.

The art web sites including my own are to establish a web presence and I don't know of anyone making money selling their work directly on the web. I am told the secret is to become a local cele
ity. Publicity - Publicity

Competitions and juried shows help establish an artist's standing especially in the gallery world which in turn drives your pricing.

My web suite has been helpful as a portfolio for review and has recently netted me a a contract with a West Coast gallery. People by art when they see it and touch it. This is where galleries come in. The object is to get your work out in the public eye so a gallery might take notice.

Making a living from your art is very hard work. It can be done; all you need is some luck and persistence.

I don't sell to relatives or friends. I give them prints and reproductions.

A Singular Creation helps people get to know you and your work. Its all very personal.

Michael Angelo and Leonardo da Vinci were both lousy business men, both died in poverty; one a hero the other an outcast. Raphael on the other hand died wealthy.

Al
echt Dürer enjoyed remarkable success as a business man and an artist.

Rubin was a business man and Rem
andt was not one died wealthy the other in poverty.

Van Goth only sold one painting for a pittance. His heirs made the money.

Both Picasso and Dali were remarkable promoters and businessmen. They made a lot of money. Picasso enjoyed is later years. Dali was miserable. It takes more than money.

Most of the modern artists were slaves to their own shortcomings which produces good art. They died young.

There are a lot of people with talent and some with skills but few are willing to do the work necessary to become great on their art alone.

For me reestablishing an art career is like jump starting an old bus that has sat out in a vacant lot for thirty years. I made a fair amount of money from art years ago but not enough to by a home and raise a family. Now that I am retired with a small income I can rejoin the impoverished but talented. My art has to be self sufficient however and with luck I will make a little extra.

Keep working and build a niche for yourself.
pehiatt

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby BAReam » Sun May 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Erika

Wasn't sure if I understood your statement about selling 3 pieces. Do you mean that you have sold 3 pieces in total... or only 3 pieces connected with your website and ASC ?

I myself cannot address the subject of selling online, as I'm still in the process of getting things together to attempt selling through ASC and Image Kind. Will, at some point, have 5 or 6 online presences, and hopefully generate at least a moderate income... time will tell.

Learn from my mistakes; I have sold several pieces over the years without having a permanent archive of the work. Having lost track of them I have no way to either prove copy right {except signature} and personal testimony from persons familiar with me and my work. Always, always document your work!!

all the best... BAReam
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon May 12, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks Pat for your suggestions. I'll be doing my first outdoor show soon, hope the weather will cooperate. I'm curious of the outcome. Hope to see some interest, as there aren't many sculptors around here and even less women sculptors.

BAReam wrote:Hi Erika

Wasn't sure if I understood your statement about selling 3 pieces. Do you mean that you have sold 3 pieces in total... or only 3 pieces connected with your website and ASC ?

Bruce, I meant to say 3 pieces through my website. This person knew me and checked out my website, then contacted me through e-mail that she wanted to buy 3 pieces.

Thanks for reminding me about the archive. That's something I had in mind for quite a while, but never seemed to find time for it.
Erika Takacs

Hello

Postby rebaccawood911 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:39 pm

No i am not and do no how to make it up,,,,,

laser engraver
rebaccawood911

Postby nigelartist » Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 pm

in a word NO!

Actually I thought about it and I guess about 15 -20 which aint bad.

Oils and water colours to church friends, a friend opposite, 2 people in pubs AND a dentist!!!!

Memory working agian. (How do you spell agian again?)
Last edited by nigelartist on Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nigelartist

Postby demac » Tue May 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Well at least you are all ahead of me...not sold anything yet.

Starting taking art seriously in 07 and built up some paintings/portfolio
Started website in Dec 08 (650 hits so far)
So far NO sales

I have done so far
1 local exhibition 2008
1 art show which is this month
1 entry in a competition - with an opportunity to get a 3 month Gallery exhibition its a 33% commision for sales but half of it goes to disabled charities so its worth it
Had 2 galleries put me in for consideration for their yearly committee meetings - but went nowhere but will be trying again at the end of this year - they wanted to keep an eye on my progress - which is good

For a self taught artist who is in the very early stages I think thats not too bad,,, I think :)

I say just keep trying! never mind the knock backs
Deanne
demac

Postby FinePencilArt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am

I have had my web site up for about 4 months and have had almost 1000 hits on it. I have sold several prints and received commissions for five original works. However, the web site is just one tool, a place for people to see what I am doing and to place an order.
I attribute my sales to other marketing and networking, usually personnal contact with a person or referral from a friend seems to works best.
In the past when I was more serious about making sales and I had the time I would set up somewhere and work on a portrait where people could see me. This got their interest and created sales. Although I don't agressively do this any more I still do some casual public work when I travel. Just sitting outside of my hotel working on a piece gets people interested and when they make comments I give them a business card which
ings them to the web site. For a hobby business I receive adequate orders to keep me busy and pay for my art addiction.
I don't think that a web site sells it is the personnal contact with the artist that makes a sale.
FinePencilArt

Postby artisticsha » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:32 am

No. But many viewing. I do get commisioned to do a painting they want after looking at my work on the computer. Also I have sold in a Gallery.
artisticsha

Re: Did anyone make a sale through their website or ASC?

Postby Carson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:19 am

Yes, I have sold original paintings and also poster reproductions of my work via my web site. Not very often, but it does happen.
Carson