A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Carson Collins

Are you new to A Singular Creation? Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

Carson Collins

Postby Carson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Please allow me to introduce myself: I am Carson Collins, a painter. I was born the 25th of November, 1953. For a brief description, I’ll say: Gently ironic, world-weary, post-punk misanthrope.

I had a close relationship with the late Ab-Ex painter, Joe Glasco (who was, among other things, one of Jackson Pollock’s drinking buddies) and Joe taught me just about everything I know about being a painter. I never went to art school. I have an MD degree from the University of Texas at Galveston that I’ve chosen to ignore. My late mother Helen Anthony held MFA and M.Ed degrees, and she taught me the basics when I was a little kid.

For the past 33 years, I’ve been working on an art project that I call The Ocean Series. The Ocean Series is a Remodernist response to the color-field paintings of Mark Rothko.

I walked into the Rothko Chapel, on the campus of Rice University in Houston, Texas, one day in 1974, expecting to find less than nothing, just another High Art hoax. My reaction was both overwhelming and totally unexpected. I literally wept, much as I also did years later when I saw the Van Goghs in Munich, and Michaelangelo’s “Pieta” in the Vatican.

I host the Remodernist Painters' Group at redbubble.

Remodernism is an alternative to the established High Art hegemony, known as Post-Modernism.

As an Art Movement, it is somewhat unusual, insofar as it is defined by the artists’ intentions, rather than by any formal qualities of the artwork.

Briefly, Remodernists do not think that Modern Art is rubbish, and we do believe that one of the legitimate goals of an artist can be the sincere expression of an authentic personal spirituality.

Spirituality does not equal religion. Religion is about beliefs and following rules. Spirituality is about the search for truth and Love. Or, anyway, that's what I think.

Here's my blog. I don't update it very often because I don't like writing just for the sake of writing. I have to at least suspect that I have something to say.

I was hesitant to join this site because I don't think that it makes any sense to mix painting, digital art, and photography. It's apples and oranges. I mean, I'm not a "Painter/Photographer", I'm a ******* painter. I don't even own a camera. Be that as it may, I hope that I can contribute something of value.

Here's an image of one of my paintings, it's called Red House:

Carson

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Carson Collins

Postby Singular » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey Carson,

It's nice to formally meet you. I will definitely check out your links when I get a chance. I look forward to seeing more of you and your work.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Carson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks, I hope you find something of value there. :D

Seriously, I realize that this may come off as picky, but isn't there some way that the software can be changed so that I don't have to call myself a "Painter/Photographer"? I'm painfully ignorant about this sort of thing but it just seems like almost any undergrad geek who knew what they were doing could make painting and photography separate categories without breaking a sweat. :idea:

On the other hand, I'm probably not only wrong about that, but also the only nut-job here who imagines this to be the least bit important. Image

Carson

Postby Singular » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:32 am

Hi Carson,

I could separate them into two categories, but want them included into one, because I want that category to include anyone who is either an artist or a photographer or both. This is just a way for us to separate people who register and are gallery owners or businesses, from the artists and photographers. It really doesn't mean any more than that.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to New Member Introductions