A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

THE TEMPLE, a pen and ink drawing by Emile Cole

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

THE TEMPLE, a pen and ink drawing by Emile Cole

Postby Emile Cole » Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Hello!

"The Temple", about 20 X 24 inches on board, all freehand pen and ink (over two hundred hours).

This picture really does not show all the detail. It was drawn (using stippling, or tiny dots) with a Rapidigraph pen that draws a line about the width of a human hair, so it's a lot like trying to photograph a giant dollar bill. When I get a better shot I will post it. This image is "adequate" at best in that it does convey the image fairly well.

Take care! Emile

Emile Cole

Postby Menolly » Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am

:shock: :D
Having done a few pictures in stippling, I can really appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into this. I'm guessing it's too big to scan it, yes? That usually gave me the clearest results, so the dots were visible... maybe you could just do a close-up of a smaller section of the drawing, so we could see the details in that area.
I think this drawing is great, especially the carvings above the front columns. Good work!
Menolly

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Emile Cole » Thu May 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks Menolly, glad you like it!

Thats a great idea, and the next time I go down to the printer that's exactly what I'll do. There really is no substitute for scanning.

Emile
Emile Cole

kudos

Postby mcsketcher » Thu May 12, 2011 1:06 pm

The drawing is great. I have nightmares about stippling though i do plan on returning one day. This is on paper correct? Have you considered taking it in to kinkos to get it scanned? They can be a bit pricey. Around here they charge 25 to scan something that size. However, you might look around and find a place that primarily focuses on architecture blue prints. We've got one here. Their equipment isn't quite as nice as kinkos but the scans still came out pretty nice. They only charged me 7 a scan. Not perfect, like free, but food for thought
mcsketcher

Postby Emile Cole » Thu May 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks mcsketcher! Kinko's huh? I'll check it out! Thanks for the tip, Emile.
Emile Cole

Postby krysta11 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Emile,

This is beautiful art and very difficult. I am amazed with your patience.
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby Emile Cole » Thu May 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Thank you krysta!

That was the last drawing I ever did.... back in 1988.

Emile
Emile Cole

Postby nigelartist » Fri May 13, 2011 5:34 am

Beautiful artwork. The perspective and angles etc. are amazing. Using stippling must be really trying on your patience.

Excellent.

Well done...keep up this excellent work.
nigelartist

Postby BYart » Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am

Emile,
Wonderful piece of art! Your patience as well as talent is very obvious in this piece! I admire both!
Hope this question isn't too ignorant, but does stippling differ from pointillism, if so...how? Is pointillism referred due to use of color?
I see you mentioned this piece was completed in 1988. I certainly hope you have found your way back to your art, as again, you show great talent!
Your perspective is spot on! Your technique and use of tonal values is amazing, please keep producing! :D
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby Emile Cole » Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi Barb, and thanks! You too nigelartist!

Ignorant? Not at all! Stippling is the technique used in pointillism (generally).

"I certainly hope you have found your way back to your art...."

As I am sure you are aware, sometimes we have to make tough choices in life. In 1988 my mom began to require around the clock assistance , and at about the same time my oldest
other suffered a severe beating that resulted in trauma induced schizophrenic like symptoms, requiring around the clock supervision.

So, at that point, it was either put mom in a nursing home and commit my
other to a mental institution so that I could “have a life”, or give up my dream and keep this family together, happy and independent. There was never really any question, and I have never looked back. I still have a tremendous appreciation for the arts though, and the one thing I have always treasured the most.... the mind of an artist.

Love your work, take care, Emile
Emile Cole