A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Race to the Finish

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Race to the Finish

Postby BYart » Thu May 12, 2011 2:30 pm

In keeping with my challenge to myself, trying to dedicate myself more to my artwork, staying focused on creating more, I've been working on this racehorse. It has taken me two days(including work today), and as you can see, i'm making slow progress.
I got hung up doing the background, as my ever present nagging myself :roll: about doing detail, really slowed me down. But, I like the way it is coming along.
It's my normal pastel, sticks for underpainting, then pencils for details( :roll: ).
I am really struggling with rendering a bay colored horse. Sure, i have many different
own hues in my pastels, but when I layer them, I am getting a less deep color than what i am after. I think back to acrylics, and being able to lay down transparent color for building up the depth, but I haven't solved that, yet, with my pastels. So, I will keep practicing.
10 x 8 on Ampersand Pastelbord.
Attachments
Race to the Finish WIP#2.jpg
Race to the Finish WIP#2.jpg (179.44 KiB)
Race to the Finish WIP 1.jpg
Race to the Finish WIP 1.jpg (180.56 KiB)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby krysta11 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Barb,

I am more and more amazed with your works. This one here is going to be a fantastic painting. "Race to the finish" is a very good title.
I can see myself racing to the finish as well.
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby nigelartist » Fri May 13, 2011 5:40 am

I really like how you have captured the movement of the horse. Your use of colour is lovely too.

The picture seems a bit dark but this could be the photography techiques used...I know I had problems getting true representations of my artwork. I read some information on taking good art photos which has helped.

Apart from that I wish you well with lovely painting.

My mom loves horses and would love this.

God bless. :)
nigelartist

Postby BYart » Fri May 13, 2011 11:17 am

Thank you Krysta for your encouragement and support!

Thank you Nigel! yes, the picture was dark :oops: , hope this update shows better.

Here is another update, did alot last night, hope to finish today!
I still need to put in the horse's blowing mane, in the blank area in front of Jockey's face. I still need to do his hand, and adjust the color on the little of his face we see.
The blue for the tail, is obviously just the underpainting. i had to wait until i did the railing, to be able to put in the tail.
I still need to do shadows, as well as work on the horse's nose area,
idle and reins, and of course the dirt track.
I see that i have one of the shadows(again, just the underpainting) below the racing silk(black area with #6 on horse), needs adjusting as the racing silk is "supposed" to be blowing back, will fix.
Attachments
Race to the Finish WIP#3small.jpg
Race to the Finish WIP#3small.jpg (167.42 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Fri May 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Barb

BYart