A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

AFTER THE FIRE - Oil Painting

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

AFTER THE FIRE - Oil Painting

Postby Guenn Eona Nimue » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm

After The Fire, an oil painting, 2 x 3 feet (approx.), completed in 1966. For best result, right click on picture, then click on "Diasplay Image with Full Quality".
Attachments
Picture 079.jpg
Picture 079.jpg (178 KiB)
Last edited by Guenn Eona Nimue on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guenn Eona Nimue

Postby Singular » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I thought this was a photo. I see that you do oils in addition to watercolor. Good choice with this subject matter. It may have been difficult to get the detail you did if you used watercolors.

Nice work.
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Guenn Eona Nimue » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Hello all!

Here is an email opinion I recieved about "AFTER THE FIRE", and my response. What is your take?

THE MESSAGE:

"execution was fine but I don't know what the main focus is. Perhaps you could darken one tree more than the others and perhaps defoliate themmore since this is supposed to show remains of a fire - your title. More extreme contrast might help. Good luck, keep up the good work."

Irma Backelant

MY RESPONSE:

"As for “AFTER THE FIRE”, in painting and photography both, I have found that there is often no “main focus” required. Sometimes the whole piece is the main focus (Picasso, Dali and Jackson Pollock for good examples in painting), and the lack of contrast is here intentionally employed to show the (relatively) lifeless state that exists after a fire has quickly swept through a formerly beautiful and flourishing wooded environment. Not all life is destroyed, either, and there almost always seems to be some foliage that miraculously escapes the destruction of the inferno."

All opinions welcome. Happy Holidays to All!

Guenn
Guenn Eona Nimue

After the Fire

Postby Owen Fletcher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am

Hey, I love the painting, AND your response to the email response. LOL! I've only been painting for a few months, and my work is really "raw" so I enhance it in Photoshop to let it catch up to what's in my mind, til I develop the skills to put it on canvas smoothly. :) I've read about glazes and such, and I hope to be able to make smoother transitions in my colors, instead of them looking like they came straight from the tube. (nothing wrong with that) but I'd like to make my wacky concepts combine with some realism added. You are a superb artist and an inspiration. Keep up the fantastic style you have. :)

Owen Fletcher
Owen Fletcher

Gallery: View Gallery