A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Paul Herman artwork

Show off your art related web site here. If you like, you could even ask for some feedback if you want to know how it looks or what could be done to make it better?

Moderator: Moderators

Paul Herman artwork

Postby Paul Herman » Fri May 18, 2007 10:27 am

Attachments
2selfportrait2004.jpg
Self-portrait, oils on gold ground on board
2selfportrait2004.jpg (138.98 KiB)
Paul Herman
Paul Herman

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 am

Hi Paul,
Your artwork is very nice, very versatile. Thanks for sharing.

Make sure you enter the June Showdown - Nude Theme. I see you have a bunch of nude work.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri May 18, 2007 11:35 am

Hi Paul,
Your body of work is impressive. Your "Slave" is fantastic and your nudes are beautiful. Your self-portrait is wonderful. The site has a lot going, I'll go back for more. Are you a full time artist? Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Paul Herman » Fri May 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Thanks very much Erika! I appreciate your taking the time to say so (artists who say they don't care what other people think are, without exception, liars!) Yes, I am a full-time painter, sculptor & writer (as yet unpublished!) Born of painters I really never had a choice (some of my father's work is on my site www.hermanstudios.com/dad.html). And you?
Paul Herman
Paul Herman

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri May 18, 2007 9:00 pm

Paul, I am only able to do it part time. I wish I could do it full time, then I could do more progress. But at least I'm spending that time on what I most like to do: sculpture.
Your site is interesting, loved your blog about Thailand (I only got through the first one). The bathroom mural is hilarious. I'd like to know the story behind it. Talking about cultural differences: In Eastern Europe, where I was born and raised, toilets are bare and functional. I still remember the shock when I first saw bathrooms with paintings and artificial flowers and pretty knick knack here in Canada. As an artlover I even felt humiliated and degraded by art hung on bathroom walls.
Anyways, I wanted to ask about the sculptures. There aren't as many, but they're original and well crafted. I see you're primarily a painter, so what makes you sculpt and how often? Do you need to be inspired by something? Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby Paul Herman » Sat May 19, 2007 1:30 am

Hi Erika,
Which part of Eastern Europe are you from?

The story behind the bathroom? (I assume you mean the trompe l'oeil one, there are a few bathroom murals on the site) it took me about five months at about four hours a day (I was juggling a few clients at the time) it was for a very wealthy man, the owner of Heritage bathrooms factories & the 25,000 quid he paid me was as much as I've seen him bet on a single horse race! But far from being a frivolous man he was one of the most interesting & unpretensiously intelligent clients I have ever had- a Yorkshire man.

As far as sculpting goes not everything I do, or have done, goes on my web-site certainly not the many clay studies I do, nor the work for famous clients who don't allow photographs in their houses (don't want you selling them to the press) but the sculpture is far more labour intensive with each piece taking on average a few months while the paintings seldom take more than a few weeks & often not more than a few sittings. The other thing about it is that paintings are far easier to sell so I don't always allow myself the commitment to a few months without painting in order to complete a piece of sculpture but I'll tell you Erika- when I am sculpting I forget I am a painter & I have always felt I am more a sculptor in my heart than a painter.

As far as any degrading factor to hanging paintings in a bathroom I feel most of my clients, with few exceptions, don't buy from me for the same reason I paint, i.e. love of art, but usually for decoration, investment or
agging rights (to show off) so at least in a bathroom I know there is time for them to actually look at the work!!

I don't know what you're referring to when you say "the first one" on my blog but if you get a chance I'd be curious what you think about the articles about art & being an artist...?

Do you have a web-site where I could see your stuff?
Yours,
Paul
P.S. Do I need to be inspired? It is always a pleasure to be particularly inspired by something but no, the list of work that still only exists in my head is longer than my life will be- I've never suffered an artistic block or felt uninspired, though there have been times I am distracted from my work by life...
Paul Herman
Paul Herman

Postby Paul Herman » Sat May 19, 2007 1:41 am

Thanks for the welcome & the invitation Joe, & yes, I did put a painting in the nude competition.
Paul Herman
Paul Herman

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon May 21, 2007 7:44 am

Paul, interesting story behind the bathroom mural. I know it was a lot of work, just so eccentric. I'm sure you have lots of interesting stories to tell, and those stories are well-written. I was referring to your Blog 1, about Thai customs and your view of art today. I share a lot of your thoughts, but I think everything there was to accomplish in traditional media has been accomplished. We'we come full circle from cave drawings to minimalist painting. Not too long ago the Art Gallery of Toronto purchased a big size blank canvas for about 1 million dollars. In contrast, I believe there is still much to explore in sculpture, and of course there's the digital revolution.
I was born in beautiful Transylvania in a place surrounded by mountains, and I miss them to this day. I don't have many sculptures to show yet, just click on my name, and you can check out my User Gallery and my website. I'm working on a new site because my priorities are changing.
Cheers, Erika
Erika Takacs