A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

B&W photography.. Opinions please!!

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

B&W photography.. Opinions please!!

Postby mskriss82 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:31 pm

I have been shooting and developing B&W for a few years now, but I dont know what to do with my work... Would I be able to sell it? Or should I just continue collectiong and giving my pices away? How intriguing are my images? I need some feedback.... ;) Please help... Krissi
Attachments
1Tressel.jpg
1Tressel.jpg (160.71 KiB)
1abaitment.jpg
1abaitment.jpg (57.53 KiB)
1casey.jpg
This photo is blury due to my moving of the paper durring printing. I just dont have any clean copies at present
1casey.jpg (97.96 KiB)
mskriss82

Postby ehoeveler » Tue May 15, 2007 1:53 am

You captured something in the young man with skateboard. He looks like that board is his only friend. The way you posed him by the dark opening and verticle paint work is spot on.
I'm not sure why you took the photo of the cop and his car with the
oken phone pole, but the quality of the black and white reminds me of police shots from the 50's and 60's. HoweverI think you have too much going on; you have the cop gesturing which can mean one thing, then you have the
oken phone pole which does take you in another
direction and the squad car, also vyeing for attention.
Simplicity is best, I always feel, and indeed is illustrated in your third
photo - train tracks leading into a dark tunnel leading into a lit
opening - Bam! I also very much like the hints of graffiti along the
walls of the tunnel, was that an afterthought or part of your reason for taking the pic?
All in all, it seems like you can definitely take some B/W shots.
I would go out on different kinds of adventures, see different things, and
based on what message you are trying to relate, snap shots like crazy!
Hope I helped, ehoeveler
Oh, to answer your question about selling, I would do this. Decide which way you want to go with your images; do you want to focus on people
and the way they feel about life, do you want to photograph local happenings, or abstract thought scenes like the Tunnel? If your answer is
'all of the above', that's OK. Just take a bunch of shots for each genre, pick the best 10 out of each bunch, and start sending them around.
The truest feedback will be based on what kind of reply you get from whatever magazine, gallery or newspaper you send your work to.
Good luck and keep sending in your shots, we are here to help.
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue May 15, 2007 6:20 am

I agree with Elizabeth re the first photo. The second one is just a photo, but the tunnel one has the most potential. Looks like you've got the eye of a good photographer, and you could have a piece of art if you cropped the image. Vision it without the scenery, just the tracks, the tunnel and the concrete with the graffiti. It would be a very interesting photo. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby mskriss82 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.. My favorite photo is the tunnel. It always has been. I climbed all the way up this steep dirt hill with camera in one hand and tripod in the other to take a picture of the tressel, but when I turned around and saw the tunnel, I knew it was going to make a great picture. I have always invisioned a band set up in the middle of the tracks. Maybe I would have to burn this idea into my image. It would be very difficult tho. Unless I digitally inhance it.

I do understand about the cop. It seems as tho there is almost too much going on, yet theres not. I do believe it would make a nice piece in the departments office. ;)

The first photo is also one of my favorites. There is alot of emotion present and I believe I did capture it well. Thank you very much for your opinions....
Last edited by mskriss82 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mskriss82

Postby ehoeveler » Wed May 16, 2007 3:58 am

I like it - it's crazy and fun. I wish you could get a little a little closer to the subject. Either that, or just cut off the bottom up to about an inch or
quarter inch from his feet. A lot of dead space there that takes away from
the man and the arch. Remember, this is only my personal opinion, and if you have a valid reason for leaving in that bottom space, that's OK, too.
Ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby bsz55 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:47 pm

I definetly think you could sell the picture of the guy with the skate board and the dark tunnel with a light at the end. I find both very intriguing and I can see them both falling into the same type of genre perhaps the way people feel about life; life can be perceived as dark, lonely, and tough at first until you see the light at the end of the tunnel.
bsz55

Postby tsgentuso » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:52 pm

As much as I like the third shot--and it has incredible potential, as was mentioned in a previous poting, with a little cropping in order to eliminate distraction--I find the first to be the most compelling. Would I crop a bit? I dunno, but I certainly would play around with the crop as that can sometimes make your point crystal clear. His expression is priceless--you have done a great job on this one. The choice for B&W is also great here--so often, the color becomes too much and then >BAM< the whole point is missed.

Keep up the good work!
tsgentuso

Postby stanton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:42 pm

You have a good eye for composition. I would suggest playing with some of your pictures with photo shop like I did with your picture of the boy. See attached. I cropped it, increased the contrast, and darkened the highlights.
Attachments
casey_114.jpg
casey_114.jpg (63.08 KiB)
stanton

Photos

Postby Carmelo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 am

Stanton shows you how you must deal with the idea of selling your photography. The market is saturated with thousands of gazillions of photos from the huge photo houses like Magnun etc. If you want a chance to sell your work, make each one art. And go to the photo art galleries.
This, merely the opinion of an old war dog. I do indeed like Stanton's treatment example of the boy with the board. I think your tunnel shot can be improved greatly with such tools. The cop shot is rather busy as E said, and his hands are way out of focus.
Carmelo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby kombizz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:01 am

I reckon you need to take more images and learn from your mistakes.
I like the very last one after lots of correction (Nov 12, 2007)
I was born and
ought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.

http://www.photosig.com/go/users/view?id=188350
kombizz