A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

greatgranfather

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

greatgranfather

Postby roxy-foxy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 am

I painted this painting from an old photograph. I quite like the monochromatic feel to it, but I am thinking of glazing it with some guessed color or simply to achieve a sepia look to it. Any suggestions are wellcome.
Attachments
Copy of P1040809.JPG
Copy of P1040809.JPG (103.54 KiB)
roxy-foxy

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Karen Berstler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:18 pm

For what it's worth, I like this just as it is, I wouldn't change a thing.
Karen
Karen Berstler

Postby roxy-foxy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 am

Thanks Karen, the truth is I also like it the way it is but still I want do something more to it. Just to do something creative.

Anelia
roxy-foxy

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Anelia, I don,t have any suggestions. It,s a great work indeed. What do you mean By sepia?
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:04 pm

It's fantastic as it is, but a sepia look would be nice I think. I'm even thinking of wear and tead and scratches, but that might be radical. Just a thought.
Erika Takacs

GREAT!

Postby rrsum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:56 pm

This is really nice the way it is. Before you do anything to the actual artwork, why don't you play with the photo of the artwork in Photoshop Elements? Apply sepia tones, textures, layers, etc and see what you get?

That way, you'll be able to see what effect it has before you actually apply it to the original.

Just a thought! Great job! He'd be very proud!
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby oilpainter2247 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:54 am

This is unreal roxy-foxy ,,,,,,,,,,,i would have too say you did a hell of a job on this one ..............wow very nice indeed.mike
oilpainter2247

Postby Menolly » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 am

I agree that Photoshop would be a good test here... a lot of photo-editing software will add the sepia effect, if you don't have Photoshop. But I see why you'd like to do it, to give it that 'out-of-the-old-family-album' look. What kind of paint did you use?
Menolly

Postby roxy-foxy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone for writing. I was away last week and haven't watched the topic.

John, I am pleased that you like as it is and what I meant by sepia is perhaps a more
own or yellow tone to the overall monochromatic look.

Erica, I appreciate your imput. To be honest I was also thinking of painting a few marks to soggest scratches, but since i will be painting more portraits of those old photographs, i thought it is better to create those textures eith the primer before i start the actual painting. I don't think its a radical idea at all.

Mike, thanks so much :D :D :D

Menolly an Rich, i like your idea, it is indeed better to try it out digitally first. At the moment I am trying to paint it in some colour using Corel Painter ....it is very difficult
roxy-foxy

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Really.. I like it just as it is....

Less is More! I think its fantastic as is..

If you'd really like to experiment with sepias and washes... I suggest to do them digitally, or have the painting printed on acid-free watercolor type papers or canvases.. you can seal them and paint over those, without modifying your original.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby roxy-foxy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:14 am

Hi Erin this suonds interesting to me, what kind of inc needs to be used?... I suppose it must to be waterproof? is there a reason why the canvas or paper needs to be acid free?

Menolly I forgot-it is acrylic paint, white, grey and black painted over black gesso.

Anelia
roxy-foxy

Private message

Postby rrsum » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:17 am

Anelia,
I sent you a private message.

:)
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:24 pm

I use Rapidographs, India Ink, Watercolors(paint or pencil), and Acryllic in conjunction with eachother all the time. Each are not waterproof.. so watch the saturation of your materials.

When you get something reproduced, you want to have them produce it on a paper that is acid-free, or an art paper that you can manipulate further etc... and not have to worry about the paper yellowing over time.
Most giclee printing facilities are aware of this and account accordingly. But is good to ask, and be in the know. :)

I had a similar situation that you are contemplating with a set of Geisha's I did in Black & white (Pen/Ink) and I wanted to add color etc... I decided to have them reproduced on a heavy watercolor type paper, so I could retain my originals as they are... and I painted color on the reproductions, making them originals in their own right.

A less expensive route is have your image scanned, and do all color saturation via a digital program (Photoshop if you already have it) or a like program. (free/shareware or otherwise)... If anything, its a good way to satisfy the curiousity of knowing whether or not you want to 'go there' with an actual painting/drawing, etc... or on reproduction as I described above.

Hope that helps.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BYart » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Agreeing with everyone else here...this is fantastic!
I have no advice on how to achieve the aged look I think you are after...but for a future work...maybe try a "crackle" effect first on the canvas? Never tried it on canvas, so not sure if it would work, but I've done crackle effects on furniture(using a kit from Lowe's).
Anyway...just a thought.
Love this and hope to see more!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby roxy-foxy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 am

Thanks Jennifer this is very helpful :)

Barb this is an interesting idea...I will consider it :)
roxy-foxy

Postby agrajtech12 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 am

I thing you made a fantastic painting and there is no need to modify it. Really fabulous job.

Thanks for sharing...
------------------------
Birthday Gifts
agrajtech12

Postby roxy-foxy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Thank for writing. Its nice to hear that....but when i am done with my other priorities i will go back to it.
roxy-foxy

Return to Works In Progress