A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

6-5-2010, Horific nite

Come on in to chat about anything at all - or just want to get to know someone a bit better.

Moderator: Moderators

6-5-2010, Horific nite

Postby D.Overholt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Hey Folks-

Saturday night started as a rain soaked evening, and ended up like a horror movie. As some of you may have seen on TV, an F4 tornado ripped thru northwest ohio, starting in Wal
idge, Ohio and the trailer park my wife and I live in, tossing everything ,like a blender, hopping to the next town, Moline, destroying homes to the next, destroying a police station, killing 2,people running for cover. next it hit the local high school destroying it, 12 hours before graduation. then it hopped to the next town, Millbury, leveling homes and killing 3. just blocks from my grand children.
I feel so lucky that no one in my family was hurt, but so sad for those that died , or were injured. The only injuries were when I thru my wife to the floor in our hallway when it roared thru, missing my house.
I've started a drive to have t-shirts made and sold for the victims. A silk screener in the area is willing to sell me the shirts at cost, but, I have to find a way to pay that cost before he will print them. If any of you know of any corperations or individuals that could help. It would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMAG0008.jpg
IMAG0008.jpg (157.5 KiB)
IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0011.jpg (118.95 KiB)
IMAG0014.jpg
IMAG0014.jpg (35.85 KiB)
" Friends will help you move, True friends will help you move the body!"
D.Overholt

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:44 pm

It is terrible the destruction that mother nature can cause. I also feel for those who were affected. I wish you luck in your fund raising. I'll let you know if I can think of anything to help.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby D.Overholt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks Joe!!!
D.Overholt

Postby BYart » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Thank God you and your family made it through that!
My prayers go out to the families that lost someone or were injured.

There is nothing more frightening to me than a tornado.
I've been through one as well, while living in IL. The sound of it approaching.... I will never forget. I also was lucky, as it came down over my house, but just took a large tree out, missed the house, and thankfully..all inside.
You are wonderfully compassionate to try to help others affected by this Force of Mother Nature. I applaud you!!!
Maybe you might speak to your local TV anchors, or newspaper reporters. I have found them to be very helpful in getting the word out to help a worthy cause. Obviously, they are looking for a story...in this case...what more of Human(spell that Humane)interest, than a survivor of this horrific event, wanting to reach out and help others. Let them know you are looking for a 'sponsor', someone that will gain recognition(maybe have a list of sponsors on the back of the shirt?) in exchange for their willingness to help you fund this worthy cause.
I have found that most businesses, welcome that type of exposure, in exchange for a monetary donation.
Shoot the news people an email, speaking to what you are trying to accomplish, sometimes easier than getting them on the phone.
Also, check with your local Walmart(speak to the Store manager), as they have a budget for local outreaches, and are always willing(it has been my experience through various fundraisers) to help out.
Best to you, and I wish you all the success in your generous effort!
I hope that helps in at least, giving you some ideas, if nothing else.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby D.Overholt » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks Barb-

The info you gave me is GREAT!! Ididnt even think about Walmart.
Again Thanks,
David
D.Overholt

wow

Postby ArtConsultant » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:31 am

wow thats crazy I have only been in one Tornado its scary for sure I am glad you are ok :) the damage looks really bad though :(
ArtConsultant

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 am

My goodness, what a terrible disaster! We seem to have more and more of these. Some great ideas from Barb. Wish you luck!
Erika Takacs

Postby D.Overholt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:24 am

Just received a call and the t-shirt fundraiser is a go!!!
The big box stores in the area were unable to help,obviously they have been doing they're part, with desaster cleanup suplies and the like. So I went to the Mom and Pop stores in the area and hit paydirt. We got enough sponcers to print the first run of 500 shirts starting saturday.
Man do I live in a great comunity or what?
D.Overholt

Return to Shoot The Breeze