A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Two Abstract Oils

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Two Abstract Oils

Postby karate0kat » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:27 am

I'm studying painting at University, and I have a couple of my paintings from this semester that I finally got around to photographing. They're not the greatest photos, as I was in a hurry. I'm hoping to get better quality ones soon, but you get the general idea.

This first one isn't actually quite finished yet, but I'm not sure where I'm going with it. The glare from the liquin is washing the colors out just slightly (the dark grays are actually true black) and it's a tiny bit blurry.

And this one is giant (5X6ft) and was probably my favorite to paint.

Image[/img]
karate0kat

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:51 pm

K, The 1st painting has a ghostly look. I can see a hand in there and ofcourse I see figures. I like the colors. The 2nd looks to me to be a part of a larger picture. A still life. I like the background. Why at this stage of you training are you working with such large works? Did you do these in a classroom, or at home?
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby karate0kat » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:15 pm

The gestural lines in the 2nd were taken from a close up of a gesture drawing from Life Drawing a couple of semesters ago. Working big was part of the assignment, specifically because students normally don't work that big. The teacher wanted to push us a little, make us try something new. He provided large tubes of some of the more commonly used colors for class use to help compensate for the cost.
karate0kat

Gallery: View Gallery