A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

TigerWolf

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

TigerWolf

Postby Badgersoph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:08 am

Background: the customer has tiger and wolf as their spirit animals and wanted to use the holly as a unifying feature. I've gone to some lengths to NOT paint every leaf in detail. These first two pics are close-ups taking by my girlfriend; I will shoot a pic of the whole piece when I'm feeling better (hopefully later today)
Attachments
tigerwolf WIP1.jpg
tigerwolf WIP1.jpg (92.65 KiB)
Badgersoph

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Further TigerWolf

Postby Badgersoph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 am

At the top of this image you can see residual Awful Holly--the stuff that looks like a five year old drew it on a Christmas card. This painting has taken a long time (longer than it should have) because I got hung up on the holly, got disgusted, and put the painting away. Later I pulled it out (because I am perfectly capable of guilting myself into work), found a whole lot of reference material on holly, and started to redo the leaves, keeping in mind my father's axiom: "You don't have to paint every damned leaf!" So appreciate that mess at the top in the perfect knowledge that very soon it will go away.

The leaves are laid in in Dan Smith watercolors' blue kyanite and blue apatite, then moving over into red ochre for the underpainting. Similarly, the berries have a blue apatite underpainting, going on to Mars Red.
Attachments
tigerwolf WIP2.jpg
tigerwolf WIP2.jpg (101.07 KiB)
Badgersoph

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Harmonygirl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 am

Nicely done, I am looking forward to seeing a full piece...

Keep on chugging!!! it looks great so far from what we can see

shannon
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Return to Works In Progress