A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

How do we abstract painting?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

How do we abstract painting?

Postby MooreJake » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 am

Hello

Recently, I have developed an interest in paintings. I am not that good as I am in the learning process. I started with water colors and now I have switched to oil paintings. Well, my first oil painting turned out to be really good. I painted an old lady sitting in a garden. Now I want to do some abstract work. Tell me, is it OK to do abstract painting on my own or do I need to take the help of an expert.

Ruth
MooreJake

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Well, it,s always a good thing to get as much training as you can. But ofcourse go a head and paint. And always be willing to try things.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby william » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:01 am

Both, classes and training and lessons are good to learn the variety of skills and techniques if that is what you're looking for, but I tend to think that even with all the training in the history of art, we still just come down to practice makes perfect. With abstract or non representational images, I think it comes down to making interesting and well planned compostions on the paper. I had a painting instructor back in Undergrad school who used to attack his canvases with oils by squeezing the tube and laying or throwing the paint in thick "tube lines" on his canvas. Even though he was my teacher, his work made no sense to me. His small following thought it was the most emotional and intense abstracts in the world and said you had to know him to appreciate the work.... I knew him as far as a teacher, but never saw his style to work. Then I had other instructors who were very skilled and accomplished, and they seem to push you even harder on creating "quality work".

Any way, I think I'm starting to babble, training is always good to learn, and I say go after the skills you want to learn, but you still have to apply those skills and practice, more than a magician practices his bag of tricks.. The one thing I've always like about art, real or abstract, is I think it's a skill that you just keep growing in.....every year older is a year better.
william

Gallery: View Gallery

How do we abstract painting?frederick

Postby frederick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:32 am

Ruth

First of all congratulations on your first oil painting! Being a painter myself, I would suggest that you first study the popular abstract works done by legendary artists. What I personally do before starting a new painting is go through the online art galleries. They have good collection and there you can study the paintings for hours. I mean it; this has helped me a lot to understand abstract paintings. Why don’t you give it a try? It would help you in understanding the art form. Better still see if you can afford to buy one. Nothing like seeing it live in front of your eyes and drawing inspiration.

Frederick
African Paintings lover
frederick

Postby arlynnhr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:28 am

Well, training is always good, but you just have to let go of all fears and experiment. I took one basic oil painting course, one basic drawing and design course, and one basic abstract course. This helped me get started. But all of my teachers have said the same thing, don't be afraid to try new stuff even if it doesn't seem right according to what you've always thought.

I agree with the idea of looking at online art galleries. When I have time, I can spend hours looking at paintings and they're a good source of inspiration! Within abstract painting I prefer the ones that have a lot of texture that makes you want to touch them! :lol:

Good luck with this adventure!
arlynnhr

Gallery: View Gallery