A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Why are we afraid to critique?!?

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Why are we afraid to critique?!?

Postby william » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:09 am

I often see people make comments such as, "I don't know if I'm qualified to give an oppinion....." or "I don't know enough to be a critic..." or " My work isn't good enough to comment on another...." Or some other comment that makes people seem nervous when you are giving your oppinion on a work of art.. I think the hardest thing in the world to do as an artist is to look at your own work and comment on another... we tend to start with thoughts of who am I to say something about another persons work?

Well I say critiquing is part of learning, you learn how to look at and discuss work, then through critique, you learn how to pay attention more to what you are making. No matter how accomplished or how green you are to making art, critiques offer us a chance to see what other people think of our work, and a good critique tends to make us work on a piece harder if need be.....

I though why not open a topic to discuss effective ways of critiquing work so that you feel comfortable and confident in what you have to say.... so feel free to post your oppinions, and concerns when it comes to criticising others work. We are all artist's here, and as an artist we should not feel oncomfortable with discussing each others work.....

Please post your oppinions on critiques openly....
william

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Chikai0 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:41 am

You are completely right. Who am I to give an opinion on something I myself cannot do? I know it's unproductive, but this is what I tell myself all the time. It's the reason I can't properly critique.

Well ... that and I also have a sharp tongue, and need to keep myself in check for fear of hurting someones feelings.

I do know for a fact that when I show my art to another artist, I don't want to only hear that it's good. It's like hearing "Great, I believe that this is the best you can do and you should move on (after being proud of your limited abilities)."

With my art, I want someone to take a big digital red pen and circle all the ugly parts, everything that doesn't fit. Or better yet, give me a hint at how to grow as an artist and develop new ways to create the image I dream of creating.

If someone tells me something that I don't like in regards to a flaw in my art, or isn't quite on the mark of what I was trying to accomplish in the first place, (eg. they thought my apple was supposed to be a peach because it was shaped wrong) I'd tell them what it was I was trying to portray. Then they could give different pointers.

It would be excellent! We could learn so much from eachother.
"We are both specators and actors in the great drama of existence"
~Niels Bohr

Our inescapable impasse is that we ourselves are part of the world we seek to explore...
Chikai0

Postby arlynnhr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:15 am

When I first started posting in this site, I would say "I'm not an expert, but..." or "I need to improve myself on this subject, but..." and so on. I guess what made me to have so little confidence was that I'm not a full time artist and have started painting more seriously since a couple of years. Now that I've been working harder I feel better when I give my opinion because I've solved similar problems in my own work.

William, you're absolutely right. We need the feedback from fellow artists in order to grow. As I've said before, comments from friends and family are nice, but they usually lack the knowledge to tell you what you need to improve. Usually whatever you do will be incredibly good to them...while to an artist it might not be so great.
arlynnhr

Only oppinions

Postby pehiatt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:02 am

I believe that people grow and learn best on their own without too much intervention from others. I will however respond to specific questions.

As for critique there should be a strong mentor relationship. Comments and guidance should be based on understanding of where the artist stands and what they are trying to do.

I look at a lot of art and I have a lot of opinions but they are just that, only opinions that may not always be that valid.
pehiatt

Postby Harmonygirl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Well, I think it is difficult for some people to say what they want because they understand the heart and soul that goes into a piece. But on the other hand, we need critiques in order to better ourselves. The problem is, we have to get past those first few critiques and those emotional
uises before we start learning. I don't think there is a cruel person on this website, and if there is, they don't respond to posts. Every critique or advice that i have been given is helpful and positive. Even when it is to fix something, it is still positive. Those critiques only make the artwork better. The critiques challenge us to relook at something thru someone elses eyes. See something we hadn't seen. When i was in school I was cocky.. thought I was "great" didn't like critique... I know better now.

Be honest, just be nice about it. There is a difference when you don't liek something or if it needs more work... art is sbjective....

I don't know if i made my point, but I ramble... so....

critique away.. i am ready to grow as an artist
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby weirdpuckett » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Your spelling sucks...there... I said it...(lol)
weirdpuckett