A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

I need your opinions

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

I need your opinions

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:20 pm

This piece I made for a local juried show.
The problem is, they picked a very difficult theme for this year: "Fresh".
I don't know if this work will fit the description. The title is "Fresh Start": a girl coming out of her shell...literally.

What do you think?
I would like some honest opinions. There is still time to come up with something else.
Attachments
Freshstart4.jpg
Freshstart4.jpg (86.88 KiB)
Freshstart3.jpg
Freshstart3.jpg (65.37 KiB)
Freshstart1.jpg
Freshstart1.jpg (63.89 KiB)
Erika Takacs

Postby BAReam » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Ericka... this is a very strong piece conceptually {fresh start}. I wonder if making the figure your
onze color and leaving the shell white, or visa versa, might make a stronger connection with the theme?

Good luck with the show... Bruce
Many roads; One path. baream 08
BAReam

Good start

Postby pehiatt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:10 pm

This is one of your better pieces. Don't try to second guess the jury on them. It never works. They usually have some latitude though.

Finnish the work as you see it. Make it yours. Anything else is less. If it communicates fresh start to you then maybe I will be seen by the jury in the same light. Jury shows are very much a crap shoot. I have even had a gallery apologize to submitting artist for what they saw as a poor selection of work by their jurist.

The big thing is make it your very best art and take jury opinion for exhibition as it comes.

Good luck.
pehiatt

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby krysta11 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi Erika,
Wow! I don't know what to say. You created one of your best pieces. The smiling girl looks beautiful . Theme is not easy, I agree with you, but the girl coming out from own shell does fit the description. It is fresh start, fresh thinking, fresh
eath, fresh glance on surrounding environment . What more can I say? I love your work, and can't wait to see it finished. Good luck E.T. ! You are a winner!
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Thank you for your replies and encouragement.

Bruce: I was pondering exactly what you said about colour.

Patrick: appreciate your suggestions, as always. Juried shows are great for pushing myself, whether I get accepted or not, won't change much. Every new piece I make - I tell myself-, it has to be better than the last one. I worked the best I can at my present level, but the job is not done. I want to make a larger copy, that will be the real challenge.

Krysta, I thought you might like her, that's exactly the message. I just finished a piece that was somewhat dark and more complex, so this one was a joy to make. I love to model smiles, not easy, but rewarding. I think I even smiled back at her. :)
Erika Takacs

Postby weirdpuckett » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:01 pm

My first opinion is that I like the sculpture..then I thought about the theme..It occurred to me that she needs to struggle ..she needs a bit more anguish about her body and face ..thats just me..I think its good ..just convey a struggle perhaps..
weirdpuckett

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Don,t know to much about art shows. But this is a very good work. I like the color that it is. And I would leave it as is.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby bpier » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Patricks right about juried shows. You can never tell for sure what they're thinking. I see no reason why this wouldn't fit into the category. It's a beautiful piece. I like Bruce's idea for color.

Brian
bpier

Postby artrocity » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:02 am

Beautiful, original, reFreshing! Btw, I loooove Fragmented Mind!
artrocity

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks WP, John, Brian and Artrocity. WP, the moment I try to capture here is after the struggle. She smiles because she knows whatever she needs to know for starting over. I'm not done with this concept yet, I might try a different pose.
Erika Takacs

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Here is the second version of Fresh Start. This one is realistic and of clay.
I will make the final version in a larger size. Question is, which one? What do you think?
Attachments
Fresh Startfinal4.jpg
Fresh Startfinal4.jpg (78.68 KiB)
Fresh Start2final3.jpg
Fresh Start2final3.jpg (78.75 KiB)
Fresh Startfinal1.jpg
Fresh Startfinal1.jpg (76.15 KiB)
Erika Takacs

Postby krysta11 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Erika make all of them ! They all fantastic! Its hard for me to answer your question. I am a painter. Remember? :lol:
I am sure it will be another great piece of yours.
All the best sweetheart.
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Thank you Krysta, they only accept one submission. So it's a dilemma.
Erika Takacs

Postby xxbreezy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:28 am

Fantastic job Erika!!! I have to say my favorite is the first one as it depicts what the actual theme is... which you captured!!!! Not to sure about that piece being different colors but I like the idea of a more "
onze" look to it. Competitions are tough when the theme is chosen for you but at the same time gives you a "subject" to go after. All competition judges are different. Some pick the winner because they like what you have done and some go straight for the idea of how this piece fits the competition theme, etc.... Either way, if you do your very best and enter a piece you feel fits then you will do fine. Best of luck to you!!!
xxbreezy

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks, Linda. The experts are telling it's not a bad idea to check out if you can what that specific juror's preferences were in the past. The second, realistic version seems to be a better fit in regards to that, but I'm not sure whether it stands out enough. Difficult decision.

Maybe if I get more opinions, will help.
Erika Takacs

Postby bpier » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:56 am

Beautiful Erika. I love them both but I think my favorite is also the first one. Can't make up my mind which I really like more.
Brian
bpier

Postby Harmonygirl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:43 pm

I agree with bpriar, the first one is my favorite. I also agree whole-heartedly with pehiatt. Make it your own and not a piece that you think someone else will love. We make art to keep our hearts happy.
Beautiful pieces. You are awesome
Harmonygirl

Postby william » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Erika, hate to jump in late on this one. I'm liking both, but the second figure seems like you're more into it, it seems more refined than the first. Not being a sculpture, I'm just trying to take both in. I like the second one personally, but stay true to yourself and it will show in your work. The fact is, the theme is already capture in the youthful look of you figure. As to color, follow your gut and let the work tell you what it needs. Very skillfull work.
william

Postby oilpainter2247 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Erika you do some wonderful work that is for sure ,,,,,, well i like them both ways you got them here

what nice looking work .i just love it .mike :D
oilpainter2247

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 pm

Brian, Harmonygirl, William, Mike, thanks for all your help. I think I'm going with the first one's innocent look and the second one's pose and body. Don't know what to do with the shell though. I still like the concept, but don't know how to make it part of the girl without looking out of place or crafty.
Erika Takacs

Next