A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My forest and bugs drawing almost done

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

My forest and bugs drawing almost done

Postby weirdpuckett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 am

I would like help ..mainly,I would like to make some elements stand out more..Like foreground Bugs and twigs..any help appreciated
Attachments
08-29-08 black and white UNFINISHED forest.jpg
08-29-08 black and white UNFINISHED forest.jpg (139.29 KiB)
weirdpuckett

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby arlynnhr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Maybe you could darken or give less detail to the elements you don't want to stand out. Maybe make those elements a little bit blurry to make them go back into the background. Do you know what I mean?

I really like it though...what technique are you using?
arlynnhr

Postby Menolly » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 pm

If you're willing to add color, you might try some subtle tints of green and
own to the objects in the foreground.
Menolly

Postby BAReam » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:48 pm

Menolly wrote:If you're willing to add color, you might try some subtle tints of green and
own to the objects in the foreground.

I like this drawing... I would have to agree with Menolly about the color.
Many roads; One path. baream 08
BAReam

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Arlynnhr;
Maybe you could darken or give less detail to the elements you don't want to stand out. Maybe make those elements a little bit blurry to make them go back into the background. Do you know what I mean?

I agree with her Arlynnhr completely. Foreground - high detail Midground- medium detail Background-least detail
You've got some serious skills, I like your work. For my taste, the composition is a bit too crowded and centered. There is no true focal point. My eye jumps from section to section. Hope this helps, Kenton
Woodpecker

Postby weirdpuckett » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 pm

I was thinking that this might be a little too busy also....I will use the darkening advice and ,thanks for the color advice menolly..But I really need to stay clear of color for awhile....I have an impairment that I need to be patient with..and fix...for now its black and white ...
weirdpuckett

Postby dona » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 am

The main problem is in the ground, too dark and blurry, not enough contrast. Maybe make the ground less gray, why not white, or replace it with a strange pattern since you already beautifully integrated a linear pattern and a dot pattern.
Was I helpful in anyway?
Dona F. Timani
dona

Postby weirdpuckett » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:42 am

yes,I appreciate your comments very much!!
weirdpuckett

Postby DLKeur » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:35 am

kneaded rubber to lift the color off where needed.
DLKeur

Postby william » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:29 am

I agree with DL, use a kneaded eraser to lift some of the darker values. the leaf in the upper right area of drawing jumps off the page, try this with the bugs and sticks too. Standard rule of thumb is less detail in background, but if you play with values and tones, the detailing will be fine. You can even try making lines around shapes thicker in foreground, and thinner in background, the change of line density should push the foreground images foward.
william

Postby weirdpuckett » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Thank you for the "lift off" eraser advice but, unfortunately this is done in india ink so I cannot lift it but I can lessen the background detail.....
weirdpuckett

Postby krysta11 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:33 pm

weirdpuckett wrote:Thank you for the "lift off" eraser advice but, unfortunately this is done in india ink so I cannot lift it but I can lessen the background detail.....

Hi weirdpuckett,

I must tell you, that this drawing is very good. I wouldn't change anything.
The way you created it made me spend more time looking for your small creatures and I found them all. I like it as it is. Just my opinion.
all the best
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby william » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey weirdpucket, I thought you'd write back that you used ink. In that case try one of these a: acrylic ink white wash or b: gouache or titanium white acrylic wash. You should be able to go into the drawing and wash some white into the areas you want lighter. You can try lifting the ink with a #11xacto or razor blade, but then your scratching into the surface of the paper, but you can gently lift out the ink. You can also try a staedler ink eraser, but that one would be my last choice, you might still have hints of ink stained on the paper.

I don't want to get overbearing with comments, the composition is very strong, you could always try a second similar drawing, leaving the areas you want lighter right at the start.

Be Good
william
william

Postby arlynnhr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:17 am

I don't want to get overbearing with comments, the composition is very strong, you could always try a second similar drawing, leaving the areas you want lighter right at the start.

Be Good
william

I like that idea! That way you might end up with a series of different drawings that were "born" from this one and you can compare to see the differences. :)
arlynnhr