A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

A Print- Lithography

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

A Print- Lithography

Postby karate0kat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:31 am

This last Spring I got into my first show and even won my first award. True it was just at my college, but still, it was pretty awesome. This is the piece that got me in and got me money, but I never really got any specific critiques on it, so I'm curious what y'all think.

http://asingularcreation.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=1419&pos=1
karate0kat

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Congratulations on the award. It's an interesting work, but difficult to critique in my opinion. All I can tell for sure I see a chain on something that appears to be a head. The title doesn't help much either. Maybe you can give us a little background or a hint?
Erika Takacs

Postby karate0kat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:07 am

The assignment I did this piece for was called Extraordinary Detail. Basically, take something very small and make it very big and very detailed. This is actually the bottom side of an ornamental fish that my parents bought in Hawaii (hence the title Memento) that is only about 1.5 inches long. My goal when choosing what portion of the fish to use and how to frame it was to keep hints as to what the object was but still have it be difficult to tell.
karate0kat

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:27 am

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. You did a great job!
Erika Takacs

Postby Makena Tile » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I know exactly the fish you speak of- metal painted with enamel. Very good drawing of it. It does hint at it without giving it away to anyone who doesn't know what it is.

How large is the drawing ?
Makena Tile