A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Handmade paper

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Handmade paper

Postby BAReam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:45 am

Hear is one of my experimental handmade paper pieces... approx.22"x40"
No paint has been applied. All color has been applied with various cotton fiber; creating one homogeneous sheet of paper.

This was a work for a one person show titled "Emerging Forms"... comments.
Attachments
A sense of Zen {{asc}}.jpg
The title of this; A SENSE OF ZEN
A sense of Zen {{asc}}.jpg (40.36 KiB)
BAReam

Postby nigelartist » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Love the colours and designs.

Shades of the Orient to me.
nigelartist

Postby DLKeur » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Okay. I'm impressed. It has good balance, occupies its compositional space with confidence, and stimulates the eye's investigation, spurring curiosity the longer one explores it.
DLKeur

Postby BiJian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:03 pm

I like this paper, it seems simple but elegant. Paper is my favoriate medium.
BiJian
BiJian

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Very nice, Bruce. What technique are you using? It looks very different from my handmade paper. Love the colors.
Erika Takacs

Postby BAReam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:43 pm

nigelartist wrote:Love the colours and designs.

Shades of the Orient to me.

Thanks Nigel... glad you like it, it's one of my favorites. Have always been intrigued by chinese calligraphy... glad you made the connection 8)

all the best; be well... Bruce
BAReam

Postby BAReam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:57 pm

DLKeur wrote:Okay. I'm impressed. It has good balance, occupies its compositional space with confidence, and stimulates the eye's investigation, spurring curiosity the longer one explores it.

Thanks Dawn... jiminny crickets :shock: .. shades of C. Greenburg. It pleases me you like it... what more can I say. Be well.

all the best...
uce
BAReam

Postby BAReam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:22 pm

BiJian wrote:I like this paper, it seems simple but elegant. Paper is my favoriate medium.

BiJian... Thank you. I love working with paper as well; unfortunately no adequate studio space currently. By the way: love your last wave post; powerful, yet controlled movement. But then, I think all of your posts are top-drawer!! Cnoid wave still reminds me of a bird preening it's tail feathers :shock:

all the best.. be well.. Bruce
BAReam

Postby DLKeur » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:24 pm

BAReam wrote:
DLKeur wrote:Okay. I'm impressed. It has good balance, occupies its compositional space with confidence, and stimulates the eye's investigation, spurring curiosity the longer one explores it.

Thanks Dawn... jiminny crickets :shock: .. shades of C. Greenburg. It pleases me you like it... what more can I say. Be well.

all the best...
uce

Jiminny Crickets -- lol. My mom says that, and I love it.

C Greenberg as in Clement Greenberg? If so, thanks for the high compliment.
DLKeur

Postby BAReam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:Very nice, Bruce. What technique are you using? It looks very different from my handmade paper. Love the colors.

Hi Ericka,,, thanks, thought you might like this one. The base sheet is the sheet forming method. A LARGE deckle is dipped into cotton fiber suspended in water and slowly raised to form the sheet. Allow almost all the water to drain away (without pressing). The drawing or painting elements are applied directly with squeeze bottles of colored cotton fiber and allowed to mechanically bond during the drying process. This unifies the entire sheet. It's a bit tricky... but well worth the effort. Note: I always choose cotton fa
ic by it's primary color prior to beating into loose fiber and never add dyes after pulping the fiber. The color is more muted and easier to maintain harmonies.

Hope this helps and inspires you... :D {wish they had a "snoopy" emoticon}
all the best...
uce
BAReam

Postby BAReam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm

DLKeur wrote:
BAReam wrote:

all the best...
uce

Jiminny Crickets -- lol. My mom says that, and I love it.

C Greenberg as in Clement Greenberg? If so, thanks for the high compliment.

Hi Dawn... hats off to your mom :wink: and yes, I was referring to Clement Greenberg { thanks for the correction} as I don't always spell the best :shock: . The compliment is well deserved. Be well.

all the best...
uce
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Bruce, thanks for the description of the technique. The first one from you that I understand lol. I like to use paper because it doesn't need boiling, just soaking overnight. But I think fiber paper is stronger in the end.
Erika Takacs

Postby krysta11 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Very original and unique piece of art, Bruce. It must be a lot of work to make own paper (papier). Very nice!
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby BAReam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Krysta... thanks for the complement. Actually the paper making process is a bit labor intensive, but not really all that difficult.

all the best... Bruce
BAReam

Postby BAReam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:Bruce, thanks for the description of the technique. The first one from you that I understand lol. I like to use paper because it doesn't need boiling, just soaking overnight. But I think fiber paper is stronger in the end.

Just curious... were my previous blurbs too technical or just poorly written? Or perhaps just unfamiliar with jargon? Would be helpful to know for future posts.

The cotton fibers are much longer and mechanically bond creating a MUCH stronger and stable sheet of paper. Actually paper can be made from MOST plant material with fiberous cellulose.

take care... Bruce
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:27 pm

unfamiliarity with technique. Your explanations are great. Any more of these? I know some people add plant fi
e, that makes the paper really cool, but too much work for me.
Erika Takacs

Postby BAReam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:unfamiliarity with technique. Your explanations are great. Any more of these? I know some people add plant fi
e, that makes the paper really cool, but too much work for me.

Hi Ericka.. do you mean more paper paintings? Actually, I have two more; radically different than this one. I can photo and post them if you like.

If you know someone with a Hollinder beater{sp?} you might ask them to process fiber for you, or you might be able to gain access to one at a college or university. Most department heads are nice enough to allow working artists access if you will sign off liability, and or pay a small studio fee. It would be worth checking out. Note; you will have to convince them you are familiar with the equipment beforehand; as these machines can be quite dangerous without proper training.

If you want: I'll post those other two pieces on this thread.

all the best... Bruce
BAReam

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Yes, I'l like to see them Bruce. Thanks for the tip.
Erika Takacs

Postby BAReam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:24 pm

Ericka... here are the two pieces of hand made paper. I'm not sure why I haven't trashed them long ago. The gray and white one is extremely heavily textured. I may splash some watercolor on it.... can't hurt it much. The paper with the two figures... well, you decide. As yet neither have been titled. I have a third one I just remembered, if I can find it. May be in my photo archive somewhere. Feel free to rip=em,twist=em etc., etc. . I might even box them and send them to you for "fodder" :wink:

all the best... Bruce

Bonus image... describe the medium :D
Attachments
HMP-3{asc}.jpg
HMP-3{asc}.jpg (40.38 KiB)
HMP-2{asc}.jpg
HMP-2{asc}.jpg (42.51 KiB)
Calipso Rythum{asc}.jpg
Calipso Rythum{asc}.jpg (37.12 KiB)
BAReam

Postby krysta11 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Whatever medium it is I like your art Bruce. It is not for everyone of course easy to understand it or understanding it at all . I will like it even more when I will find out what your paintings are about.
with respect
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Gallery: View Gallery

Next