A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Thoughts on sharing your art in Coffee Houses, et al.

If you want to discuss anything art related this is the place to be.

Moderator: Moderators

Thoughts on sharing your art in Coffee Houses, et al.

Postby jenn_iam » Thu May 25, 2006 1:56 pm

**Since this is not really a Gallery topic, even though it is a showing of one sort or another, I am mentioning this here.**

Has anyone ever displayed their works in coffee houses?

I notice in my area, that many local artists do, from those whom are students to the general artist that has works they like to share... I myself have not yet done so, so I am interested in what others think.
Success stories? Pitfalls or things to look out for, etc.? Would you do it again? That kind of thing.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Singular » Thu May 25, 2006 2:07 pm

That's interesting you
ought this up. I went to a restaurant in Baltimore MD, right accross from John's Hopkins University. It had a bunch of art that was on the walls in the dining area. Each piece had a business card attached. This company finds venues in different cities in the US and places artists' work in their business (restaurants, banks, hotels, etc). Of course the artists pay a annual fee and a large cut of the commission, but I think that it is a decent concept. All you need to do is eliminate the middle am and do it yourself. I would advise that if you are looking at coffee shops, you get a contract from a book and do some resisions. You could pay them a small finder's fee of maybe 10% or so for a sale and they would get to display your art free of charge. It's a win/win in my opinion. But I would be very specific in your contract about the terms, especially concerning damage of property and term of holding your art.

best regards,
Joe
Last edited by Singular on Thu May 25, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Postby jenn_iam » Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm

That is interesting..

I think I remember a while back (and I mean a 'while') having come across something of the sort (Art with business card displays) in restaurants, but I think the artist solicited to the restaurant then on their own... It's a good idea...no doubt!

I agree that it is a much better idea to remove the middle man from the pictue and deal directly with the business owner.

I will do some research and post what I find, as most likely each business will prefer to do things different. Although, in reality, it'll most likely come down to a well thought out and negotiated contractual agreement.

Thanks,

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby babbj » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:52 pm

When I lived in Idaho they had a time when all the home builders would
show off all the new homes.A freind of mine who is a
ick layer and owns
the gallary where some of artwork is at (no he does not have a web site)
one of his builder friends would ask him for artwork to display in his homes.So if you know a home builder or of one, there is good place to display art for a few weeks

jim
babbj

Postby Singular » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:08 pm

babbj wrote:When I lived in Idaho they had a time when all the home builders would
show off all the new homes.A freind of mine who is a
ick layer and owns
the gallary where some of artwork is at (no he does not have a web site)
one of his builder friends would ask him for artwork to display in his homes.So if you know a home builder or of one, there is good place to display art for a few weeks

jim

That is a great idea. To add to that, interior designers are always looking for artwork to put in homes. If you can make contacts with an interior design firm, you may be able to sell them some of your work or even do commissions for them upon request.

best regards,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:47 am

I, currently, know of an abstract artist that has done just that.. and it has been a successfull endeavor indeed. I personally, have not but why place limits..

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby johnwalkeasy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:57 pm

I drive by a coffee house every morning on my way to work, near the Georgia tech campas. They have large windows so it's easy to see in. They opened about three years ago. Almost every month they will have about 10 differnt paintings hanging on thier walls all around the shop. Don't know if any of them are for sale or not. A lot of people go in the coffee house every day and a lot of people drive by every day. They are exposed to a lot of folks. I,m sure thier are quite a few inquries about them.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)