A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New to the forum, but would like imput

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

New to the forum, but would like imput

Postby oldred » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum, but have read posts for some time, now. I really would like some advice as to not only technical ability, but style. I am getting old and am only just starting to put the time into art as opposed to glass (which I have been doing in a more commercial manner for the past 10 years...to earn a living, you know). People seem to respond very well to my charcoal portrait work, but I could crawl out of my skin having to do them. I am working in a lot of recycled and garbage art right now for a show, but am seriously drawn to more abstractions in my work. And, the unfortunate piece is that social commentary is very much a part of what I do. I think I am afraid to show them, though. I need to focus or at the very least, decide which is more important...paying the bills or creating. Ahhh, I feel lost at present. If I can put up 2 images, here I will, but if not, http://oldredstore.googlepages.com/illustrations for a small portfolio sampling for illustration, etc. Thank you for your imput and constructive critiques. Donna/oldred[/url]
Attachments
Africa 3.jpg
Charcoal 'Africa' 16 x 20/sold
Africa 3.jpg (79 KiB)
4 sisters 2.jpg
' 4 Sisters' Oil on canvas 40" by 5'.
4 sisters 2.jpg (91.02 KiB)
oldred

Postby bergina » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Donna,
Your charcoal (not sure the medium) drawing is absolutely stunning.
Al
bergina

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:43 pm

I think whatever you decide to pursue, you'll do just fine. The decision is yours. I personally like your charcoal drawing most, then your landscape and abstracts - in this order. They're all original and well done.
Erika Takacs

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:42 am

I love both of these pieces. Love the use of color in the first one and the second one is so real looking. Not sure what your dilema is but you have nothing to worry about. You are very talented!!
xxbreezy

Postby pamearleywine » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 am

I think your charcoal portrait is very good (course, I am partial to charcoal) - BUT..........if you don't like doing them Don't. Go with your abstract art. Art is not about making other people happy - its about making You happy. And it looks like you have enough talent to do whichever you decide to.

8)

Pamela

http://www.pamearleywine.com
pamearleywine

Thanks so much

Postby oldred » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:12 am

Thanks for the input and the encouragement. I realize more people go for representational work and perhaps I'll have to do a bit of it...maybe for awhile. I have to continue on with other work in order to justify it, though! Right now, I am getting cardboard amassed for a show and thinking things through, always different, is what I believe appeals to me. Something what is rote and takes absolutely no thought; rather... just time, can only go so far for me. There are so many wonderful artists here. I am just awed and feel very humbled. Got a lot of work to do! Thanks, Donna
oldred

Postby Teknowizard » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:14 pm

I think both are very well done. The charcoal is stunning and Very well done. The abstract reminds me of something you'd see in a portion of a nebula.
My Facebook Fan Page - Come join as a fan and/or set up your own fan page.
Teknowizard