A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Alaskan Bear

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Alaskan Bear

Postby stevem » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Hello everyone I have a piece I'm working on of an Alaskan Brown Bear fishing. This piece is a little over 30 inches high x 45 inches wide and 32 inches deep. I started a blog updating my progress everyday if you would like to take a look it can be seen at: http://www.artscuttlebutt.com/blog/view/id_347/

Thanks for looking,
Steve
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
stevem

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:47 pm

Pretty cool Steve. Impressive process. I look forward to seeing it done.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KarinPavlic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 pm

Hey there Steve! Nice work you are doing there! Thank you very much for sharing your process of creating. :)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Postby stevem » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks y'all for the words of support. I hope to have this piece done in clay by tommorrow or the the end of the weekend atleast. I have to start getting ready to teach a sculpting class in March and I want to try and use the month of Fe
uary to practice. Thanks again and I'll post some more photos of the days progress tommorrow.
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired. -Robert Strauss
stevem

Postby stevem » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:34 pm

I finished the clay today! I went back and did a bit different texturing on the fur and I like much better. This is a new technique for me but I really like it. I hope you do too! Please let me know. I guess this is how we grow as artists. There are more photos of the piece at my website http://www.giftedhandssculpting.com under works in progress.

Steve
Attachments
DSCF0004a.jpg
DSCF0004a.jpg (115.91 KiB)
DSCF0006a.jpg
DSCF0006a.jpg (106.93 KiB)
DSCF0007a.jpg
DSCF0007a.jpg (111.02 KiB)
stevem

Postby KarinPavlic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:54 pm

I think that it is wonderful!
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Yes, the rough fur makes a huge difference! I like it much much better. What is the riverbank made of? It looks too smooth and shiny for clay.
Erika Takacs

Postby stevem » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:28 am

Thank you Karin and Erika. Erika the riverbank is molded in a plastilene clay. In case your not familiar with what that is, it's an oil based clay that doesn't dry out. I knew I would be casting the bear and the base seperately so I used different types of clay so I would be able to seperate the two easier.
stevem

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:08 am

Yes, I'm lovin' that fur-"bearing" :lol: varmint!
Looks like you love it, too. E
ehoeveler

Postby stevem » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. I am having fun with it.
stevem

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Hey, Marietta! How's it goin' around town?
Are you trying to get into any galleries around
Atlanta? Do you know about the yearly MOCA
pin-up show? E
ehoeveler

Postby stevem » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Hey E, it's a little bit slow right now. I probably shouldn't complain because come Summer I'm always too busy, but I guess that's human nature. I have been trying to get into some galleries but not to much avail. I did get into a new artist co-op in Acworth, gallery 4463, but I haven't had any sales yet. As far as the MOCA pin up I did not know anything about it. All my work is 3d, does that sound like anything they would be interested in? The title "pin-up" kind of makes me wonder. If you know of any galleries that would be interested in my stuff please let me know.

Thank you,
Steve
stevem

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Well, a while back I tried Romo, Barbara Archer, et. al. - the biggies
around Atl. I'm like that - I like to start at the top. :lol: Surprisingly
say, :lol: I didn't recieve a reply. I'm currently working on a new look,
idea and will send CDs' around again when finished.
Tha MOCA pin-up is a lot of fun. Any Atlanta artist can create an unmounted unframed 2-D work of art no larger than 18x18 inches
for this show. Here is the info from last year:

TO: ALL GEORGIA ARTISTS
RE: MULTIPLES PROJECT CALL FOR PROPOSALS
(Deadline 9-14-2007)
OFF-THE-WALL PIN UP SHOW AND SALE
(Event Date: 9-21-2007)

OPEN TO ALL GEORGIA ARTISTS!
2 0 0 7 MOCA GA Multiples
Call for Proposals
MOCA GA and its Artist Resource Council (ARC) invite Georgia artists to participate in a program that
ings exposure to Georgia artists and to the Museum where affordably priced art work is available for purchase. Proceeds of the multiples will help fund the MOCA GA Education/Resource Center. One of MOCA GA's key initiatives is educational outreach, and the Museum's Education/Resource Center is the cornerstone of this initiative. The Center serves as a unique, centralized source for historical documents, archives Georgia artists and tells the story of contemporary art in Georgia.

6TH ANNUAL "OFF-THE-WALL PIN- UP SHOW AND SALE"
At MOCA GA Midtown
1447 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30309

September 21, 2007

MOCA GA has changed the format for its "Off-the-Wall Pin-Up Show and Sale." It remains a non-curated show open to all Georgia artists; and it takes place Friday, September 21, 2007 at the Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia (MOCA GA). The event will be held from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. and is open to the public. New this year: Artist participants and buyers must be MOCA GA members or become members to participate or attend Pin Up 2007; and all sales will be made by direct contact between artist and buyer, either that evening or at a later date. The artist may keep the entire amount of the sale price. In addition, although the size requirements remain the same, there will be no price restrictions. Wall labels will contain a suggested retail value, but artists and buyers may negotiate price the night of the event. Membership at MOCA GA is offered at a wide range of levels starting at the $25 Individual Artist level and going up to the $10,000 Founder's Circle level. Please check the website at www.mocaga.org for more information.

The purpose of this event is two-fold: For the artist: it introduces them to a new audience of buyers and seasoned art collectors, and it gives them the opportunity to share their work and network with other artists. For the collector: it is an opportunity to purchase artwork at very reasonable prices. In its first five years, the Off-the-Wall Pin-Up Show and Sale was a tremendous success, with more than 350 artists participating each year.

The show is presented by a MOCA GA advisory group, the Artist Resource Council (ARC), composed of artist members of the Museum. ARC advises MOCA GA on programming that serves the visual arts of the state of Georgia and supports the mission of the Museum.

Artists Info: Artists must hand-deliver and pin up their work on Thursday, September 20 between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., or until there is no remaining wall space. Works must be unframed, unmatted and no larger than 12 x 16 inches and extend from the wall no more than 5 inches. These dimensions apply to the size of the entire piece, including borders. Only one entry per artist. Unsold artwork may be picked up after the event on Friday, September 21 from 9 p.m. - 10 p.m. and from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Saturday, September 22. The required application / release form will be available on MOCA GA's website, www.mocaga.org, by early August.

The Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia
1447 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30309
www.mocaga.org
info@mocag.org

PS - MOCA is closed right now because they're moving
to the TULA Art center over on Bennet Street in
Mid-town. They will re-open around the end of March.
I think MOCA is a good way to meet people in Atl.
and get your work out there. E

Forward email

This email was sent to ehoeveler@bellsouth.net, by info@mocaga.org
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeâ„¢ | Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by

Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia | 1447 Peachtree Street | Atlanta | GA | 30309
ehoeveler

Postby Erika Takacs » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Hey Steve, did you cast the bear yet? You need to show it if you did!:)
Erika Takacs

Bear Necessity

Postby stevem » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:31 am

I finally got the piece molded and cast. It kept getting put on the back burner but it's ready now for the summer tour. Nothing like a looming deadline! I decided to call the piece "Bear Necessity" I hope you like it.

Steve

stevem

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 am

It turned out very nice. Especially the textured fur. Good luck on the tour!
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

The bear's very good, but PASSION is my choice. Exquisite.
DLKeur

Postby stevem » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:27 am

Thank you Erica and D.L

I need to get a photo of the finished Passion before I sell out. I've already sold the first two before I had a chance to photograph it.
stevem

AWESOME

Postby AGillustration » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 am

oh my gosh this is truly great!!!!!!!!!!!
AGillustration