A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My new website

Show off your art related web site here. If you like, you could even ask for some feedback if you want to know how it looks or what could be done to make it better?

Moderator: Moderators

My new website

Postby pyewacket » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:59 pm

I still have my "old" website that I had previously posted and I've made improvements on it...first I got rid of the pop-up ads by paying a small fee monthly...I also added e-mail links to me should people..prospective clients want to contact me to see more of my work...this was on the suggestion of a fellow photographer who said I should promote myself like crazy and one way to do it was to add my e-mail links to each page of my photo work, so should they like what they see, rather than hunting around for a contact page the link is right there

So my new improved "old" website is still at:

http://melneer.tripod.com

Now I'm working on a new website...far from finished, and I'm really going to have to bone up on my HTML and CSS
But talk about synchronicity--I belong to the website..Gather...all kinds of people are there..you can write articles, upload photos, etc...well a photographer commented on one of my photos, so I checked out his "page"..he had links to his website via the SmugMug hosting website--I was so impressed by his site that I decided to build one there too, and it looks a lot more professional..I still want a more premium one with all the bells and whistles..but this one of mine is so much better..least I think--I still have to add a navigation bar...this is where extensive HTML and CSS will come into the picture..no pun intended...
I have several "galleries" of my photos..will upload more soon--you click on each "gallery" photo..say birds, and it opens up to my bird photo page...you can also view the photos as a slide show...which looks great---to get back to the main page. you click on "melneer"--that's equivalent to homepage
...I did do a little HTML by adding the e-mail links, and at the footer the All rights reserved notice..
But I like to see what you think--

http://melneer.smugmug.com
~~All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us~~ Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
pyewacket

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi Melanie,
First, your old website. I see you put a lot work into it, and with a few changes, it woud look evem more attractive.
I'm concentrating on the main page because of its importance. That's where surfers decide whether to stay or leave.
Nr.1 The four pictures on the top of the page are very nice however they're all different size and that's taking away your focus from the pics. Try and make them the same size (insert table maybe - I'm no expert on this).
Nr.2 The background should visually enhance the page. I like that you separate the page in two colours however the grey you picked is not the best choice. There's plenty of neutral but lively colours, even greys. A touch of yellow would make it warmer.
Nr.3 The 3 lines on the right side of the page and in the left column are not necessary, they make the page too busy. I'd try 1 thin line and 1 thick line on the side and nothing in the upper left corner. Or just one thick one.

Now, your new site. The home page isn't nearly as good as the old one. I think you should keep the colour split to fill up empty space, of which you have plenty. Also, make the thumbnails bigger to fill up the space. The features you mentioned are nice.
Hope that everything works out fine for you,
Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby pyewacket » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Well as far as tweaking around with the old website...maybe if I had more HTML and CSS savvy I could change things..the sizes of things are pretty much dictated to the site's builder--you really can't do much to change things....those pics on the top are all considered thumbnail size, yet for some reason they all came out different sizes--again as far as a "table" I would need some more HTML/CSS savvy for that if I could do it, and I don't know if I can...the way the site builder is, is that you just click here and there to get the effect--in other words it's all pre-programed

When I first built the website it was before I had my own computer...on a PC at an Internet place..now I have my own computer, and it's a Mac--for some reason..and I've discovered this all too well, that many applications one can do on a PC one can't do on a Mac...in other words its been hard for me to change the color scheme of things.--Even font sizes have been troublesome to change on my Mac computer.

The new site...the thumbnails are clickable...you click them and they do become the larger size, like you see on the right hand side--and of course you can view as a slideshow in which the photos almost fill the entire screen..--Actually, I've viewed a lot of photographer's sites and the way I have my new site presented is pretty much the standard..to view what I mean..

click here

http://www.sethresnick.com

The bottome line is that the thumbnails are just to give one a rough idea of what is in each gallery.--as for a color split thing..same thing I need to bone up on my HTML knowledge.
~~All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us~~ Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
pyewacket