A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Practice & Post - Hands

Frequent topics with different subject matter for you to practice. Post your images here for discussion. Goal is both to teach and learn.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Practice & Post - Hands

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Super-Duper! Lord Knows I need to. Thank You!
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Well come on, Lady.. Let's see 'em!!! :)
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby pmmurphy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Snapshot_20160225.JPG
Snapshot_20160225.JPG (10.21 KiB)

I love drawing hands. Right now i only draw my own left hand for practice, here is a sketch i did that i enjoy.

I did these in ink. WHen i draw the hand i try to never do the same pose twice. The more dramatic and tense the pose the better.
pmmurphy

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Patrick - those are fantastic... love the dynamic poses you are choosing... I know the feeling of having minimal models to look at - and photos don't do the same justice.. :)
I cast hands, so that I have them for drawing from or for whatever (FX stuff) but they capture the light just right.. have the same detail... and are 3D - Perfect.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:37 pm

Good evening Jennifer. I will be re-engaging this forum in a few days. Have conceived and worked out a new presentation of hands. Have to finish Grand Canyon 3 first. I have that process posted in the fury forum. So, I will see you after Thanksgiving.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm

That sounds fabulous Carl... YAY!

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Good afternoon Jennifer. My hands are busy at the moment. Doing some house cleaning and painting while waiting for the last layers of Grand Canyon 3 to dry so I can do the fine details. Going to have an open house Christmas party on Dec. 10th. Last time we did this about 60 to 75 people showed up. House packed with snow on the ground. Everyone had a good time. It's looking like I might not post here until after the tenth of Dec. This hands painting has been praying on my mind for a few weeks now and demands to be. So, have no doubt that it will exist. Nice to hear from you.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Hello again. I am posting the preparatory work. Started it before the tenth. While I consider myself a patient man, the truth is I hate waiting. It is enforced confinement. And I know a lot about confinement. Moving on. This is what I consider the steps in this painting.

Step one is the blank easel. It sits there silent, waiting, asking you the questions, "Why am I empty?" and "Well are you ready?" and "What are you waiting for?" and the worst one, "Are you afraid you will fail big boy?"
Attachments
Empty
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm

The setup. Step 2. The blank easel challenge is quieter. Setting up actually is the calm stage. Decisions have been made. It is time to proceed. I intend to sit in a chair for this painting because of the calm reflection the painting will offer. Most of my landscape pallet knife paintings are done in the standing position because it affords more freedom of movement and expression delivery of the knife. This one requires a different emotional approach.
Attachments
The Setup
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Step 3. The painting is started. That first strike of the knife on the canvas is magnificent in the feelings of emotional release. It is the first step on the road to a new adventure. I know this part of the path well, but I have no clue to where this road will take me. I must prepare and place each step towards journey's end; the finished painting.

To barely see the Titanium paint in the upper left corner, you have to click on the painting then click on the square symbol on the painting. It is difficult to see white on white with the computer, but it is not in the real world.
Attachments
First Strike
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:17 am

Have not forgotten about this post. The Titanium white paint is still drying. When it is dry I will start posting the progress again. Like I said, I hate waiting, so I will now continue Christmas decorating, etc. until it is time to return to this painting.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Next post. Step four. I have finished with the white background. Don't actually know the science of it, but it seems to me that colors laid on a truly white background appear more brilliant than on the black and grey backgrounds taught by artist instructors. It is easier to paint on the darker backgrounds because the subject matter stands out more. But I just can't get the same brilliance as with the white background. So, moving on.

Are you bored yet? Getting impatient to see the start of the painting? Well, you have. These four steps is what it takes me to start a painting. That is of course after the thinking process that can last a few hours to a few years. I am also impatient for the paint to dry. Although, it gives me more time to mull over the approach and overall construction of the painting. The pallet knife strikes are smoother on this canvas to give a softer and more personal reflective visually restful presentation.
Attachments
Step 4
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:53 pm

It is such a joy to simply watch the slow motion event happen with the first brush stroke. No grid work. No line plotting. No doubts. No fear. Just picture reference, Eye to mind, mind to hand and hand to painted form. The conversation has begun.
Attachments
The conversation has begun
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Last two posts for today just to show the progression. Going to fix dinner now. Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
started the knee
Finished the knee, well, for now
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:27 am

Good morning all. I started what I call the painting process yesterday. One of the beauties of painting over the dried titanium white is that when I make a mistake I can simply wipe it off and start over. The process is just to paint. Develop the forms, keep building and keep expanding. The posted three images show this process development. Hope I can do some more today.
Attachments
The Process has begun - 1
The Process has begun - 2
The Process has begun - 3
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:41 pm

OK, today's work is posted. Tired. Starting to argue with myself and losing the arguments. How much texture do I want in the paint field depth? How realistic can I make this and still have the visual automatic understanding that this is a painting. How much do I twist the painting in the composition away from the photo and still maintain enough realism to achieve the presentation I am seeking. I am starting to overthink and not letting the painting speak to me. So, it is time to stop. Well for today at least and maybe tomorrow. Thinking about a painting takes far more time than doing the painting. At least for me. Oh yes, the lines for form and space definition are starting to creep in. That's ok as it tells me I am cognitively and creatively entering new undefined territory.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Done for today. It seems everything is falling into place without much thought on my part. I wonder what that means. Anyone have any ideas or comments?
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Well, got a little more work done today. Tomorrow is Christmas so I don't think I will be painting. So, Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you enjoy the progress presentation.
Attachments
See the little dabs of grey? Not supposed to, but, sometimes I mix the paint on the canvas. I am sure we all do this from time to time.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Today's work. The painting continues to march itself to the finish line. This is becoming a one sided conversation.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:46 pm

coming along well, Carl.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

PreviousNext