A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Practice & Post - Hands

Frequent topics with different subject matter for you to practice. Post your images here for discussion. Goal is both to teach and learn.

Moderator: Moderators

Practice & Post - Hands

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:28 pm

I thought it would be fun, to have a bit of discussion and tips, practice and sharing, of the approach, application and study of the Human Hands. (any medium)
Feel free to add to and share. Hands are often such a hard area to master, its planes, angles, proportions vary from pose to pose.... I say, Let's go for it!!! :)
I will post some images shortly.. but wanted to get this out there. Feedback should be focused on the form itself primarily, not so much the medium used.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Practice & Post - Hands

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Why not? I am at a mental impasse at the moment. My promoter wants me to paint the same thing as every other artist in Santa Fe does, only better. I have not figured out how to not offend her, keep her as a friend and refuse to become an employee again.

See you in a few days, weeks, hours? I will be posting old fashioned stuff. I shall threaten without a word, I shall challenge without saying a word. And, I shall instruct without a word.

I am in mood of regret at the moment. Regret about how so much has been lost through time. How slowly our human spirit has been lost through technology. Does anyone know how to live without technology? How many of us sheep agree to be herded into containment being convinced safety is better than freedom? Stopping now. Moving on. Hope I have peeked some interest here. Like I said, see you later Jennifer.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi Carl, I do not have a 'promoter' at the moment.. actually not quite sure how or where to look for one, as I have been so accustomed to charge forward, tackling my promoting or lack there of.. Ha! I cannot imagine being asked to paint the same, but different. Its difficult not to view that as 'playing the game' or 'dance the dance' without asking Why? to what result? If you paint, what everyone else paint, how do you stand out as an individual artist? Make your mark on the artistic community, or in Artistic history for that matter. If the question is, paint or create art in a given style.. that would be one thing, as the subject would still be lent to your choosing... realistic or imagined. Hmmm. a good ponder for sure.
I don't think, asking the querying questions to start the dialogue of why she is pushing you to create a certain way, can be viewed as offensive.. so I would start there. You can always disagree with the results of the dialogue, but that would just be a element of disagreement, hardly personal.

Best of luck, my dear!

Regret not, as the moments forward are still sweet. The sun still rises in the East, and kisses each day with promise. (Now I sound like an inspirational Calendar message - LOL) Technology too, has origins in creation, and through its new faculties, can the traditions of the past be restored or reborn anew. Rather than fret on what the 'sheep' are allowing to happen, be apart of the voice of freethinking. Most 'sheep' fall in line, cause its easy... in that, I agree, much of the 'perks' of today is that it makes things Easy... and my grandfather would always ask...
Evaluate, Easy verses Lazy??? Either are rarely better.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:15 am

Good morning Jennifer.

Sorry it took so long. Had to sleep on it. Had to think, think. Without technology, I most likely would have died at 18 or 19. My wife would have died at age 20. So thank you for your comments. I am sure my grandkids will thrive in the coming new world humanity has created.

Moving on. Instead of repeating old art book instructions, I decided to plow ahead and do something I have never done before. How else can you grow unless you experiment and create new abilities and experiences. Should have known I would do it this way, sorry about that. So without further word nonsense on my part, I have begun.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:50 pm

No.. this is great Carl.. Like the progression. :)

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:29 am

OK, the painted hand sketch is finished. Had to do some Photoshop work to make it look like it does in real life. Snowed last night, daylight a bit muted so Photoshop required to adjust values and intensity. Hope some folks are checking in here. I have learned very much from different artists, subjects and techniques on this site. Hope others attend, learn and enjoy. Of course I am taking this to the next level.
Attachments
Hand sketch finished
CarlOwen

Postby Medved35 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Sorry to intrude, but I read this thread yesterday and subconsciously you guys had me thinking of hands. It's not a study and I can't give process updates because I just busted it out. But I am proud of it and I wanted to thank you two for the inspiration. The painting would certainly be different and not titled, " Hand Puppet Sponge Bath" (not that it's a great title or anything. I'm really not a title guy but without it I'm afraid people wouldn't see all the imagery). I won't post the picture in this thread. I don't want to confuse anyone. Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Medved35

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Ah Collin, this is not a private thread. Just checked on sponge bath. Nice interesting work. But have to think about it a bit before I comment on why I like it. When you get around to doing a hand or two, or more, please post your work. Then someone else may get the idea, and so on. That way, all of us get to see the differences, learn and simply enjoy looking. Look forward to seeing it.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Hey, Medved
You don't have to show progression.. that was just what Carl did. You can share whatever you have, as long as its focus is on the hands. :)
you can post just the hands part of the whole if you like.. since it sounds like you created something greater.. regardless, So, glad that this conversation sparked some inspiration for your creativity.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Carl,

Like your latest evolution on your hand. You picked an interesting perspective to tackle.. the forefinger looked like it was the biggest struggle with the foreshortening.. I think its in the right position, but needs the tones and shadowing adjusted to trick the mind to viewing it the right way.. :)

Im working on mine, I will be posting them soon.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby Singular » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Nice Carl. You picked a difficult angle and did very well. Perspective and proportions are excellent.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Thank you Jennifer. I shall attend. You are very much like my wife. She will automatically go directly to the weakest part of my work and pick it apart. Fortunately, surviving 30 plus years in corrections has given me a rather hard shell, just in case anyone has not noticed. Thank you Joe for checking in.

Moving on. This is not done yet. If it is not hard to do, I am not interested. I am almost seeing the finished painting here. Almost. It has not spoken to me yet. So, I shall push on until it does.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:23 pm

LOL... I am not picking it apart... If I were to pick that angle of the hand, that part would have been my Achilles heel too... LOL I just notice where I would have challenges, and look there first. :P

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Pushing on. The painting is close to having a conversation with me. Just love it when it starts waking up.
Attachments
Hand 6 step - Waking up
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Wow, Carl it's coming along... I tried to do a video capture of my sketches but the video started in delay or something.. Anyway... Here is my attempt. (Sketching on a tablet is so much different than on paper). Bare with me. Lol

Part I

trim.0EF8E0B7-ED15-42C8-B90A-B549D3EA805A.MOV [ 91.39 KiB | Viewed 4146 times ]

Part II
Attachments

trim.DF999E0B-1C5B-4636-BC19-A4AE71DDADCD.MOV [ 205.65 KiB | Viewed 4146 times ]

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Good stuff Jennifer, good stuff. Most enjoyable to watch beautiful original well done artistry. Thank you.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Oh haha.. don't know about good stuff.. that was rather sloppy... but I will push forward with it... and timelapse each part to share. :) But thank you for that..

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:40 pm

The conversation has begun.
Attachments
Hand step 7
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Really like that sassy background texture Carl!!! You are going all out!!!

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby Singular » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 pm

I love this topic. Great idea Jenn. Just created a new forum so that we can get this whole idea moving forward.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Next