A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

The Cycling Incident

Everyone has issues and problems at one point in their lives. Maybe someone here has gone through exactly what you are. Come on in if you need some advice or just some one to talk to.

The Cycling Incident

Postby St.Luke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Several years ago I was in Austria to compete in a cycling road race - the Masters World Championships. My training base was in a small township twenty kilometers from St Johann of Tirol - the starting point of the race. On race day I used this distance as my warm-up. Unfortunately, along the way, not far from base, an incident occurred. Paramedics were flown in and awakened me from unconsciousness. My first reaction was to check the time. Forty minutes had passed. Damn, I missed the race!

The paramedics said I was not going to the race but to the hospital. On the way I could not recall the incident. Eleven stitches and forty-eight hours later I was released from hospital.

1. Just released from hospital.

The police returned my carbon-framed bike in four pieces. They also had no idea of what caused the incident. There was nothing left for me to do but pack up my bags and fly back to Australia. It took another four months to fully recover from concussion. During that time, I decided to do some art therapy in the hope of recovering some glimpse of what actually happened to me.

From the incident, I used the racing jersey, gloves, broken sunglasses, and racing license for creating a large collage. I soaked the blooded areas with Damar varnish as a preservative. The rest of the collage includes printed paper, maps, tape measure, marbles, balsa, nail polish, acrylic paint, string, and cotton wool.

2. Experimenting with composition layout.

3. The road is a multiple print photo of the road outside my place.

4. Two of the many photos taken for gaining collage material. The watch data is the approximate incident time.

5. Spiritual intervention: the hand of God; and healing the cyclist's matrix.

6. Gold leafing the spacer between the glass and collage surface.

7. The blood clot is made from balsa, painted with nail polish.

8. The finished collage. 120 cm x 90 cm (47.25” x 35.5”)

Therapeutic conclusion: Though I did not recall anything new, I was able to close the need of wanting resolution. Now I have no resentments of unfinished business with the sport, or with a missing part of my timeline.

Whenever I look at this collage I remember how wonderful it was to be racing fit at fifty-five years of age; and a telephone call to my step-mother just before the incident.
The conversation in part was:
“Tell me again how far is this race”?
“Seventy-six kilometers around the mountains”.
“How many days does it take”?
“Mom! They expect me to do it in under two hours”.
“Now that is unreasonable”!
St.Luke

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The Cycling Incident

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:48 pm

LOL and you've once again made lemonade out of Lemons! I laugh at myself, very much relating to the sharp edges and clean color.
Loving the cotton clouds and just the right color of blue sky to cover those sunshiney mountains. You let us see your injuries and vulnerable inner structure in a delightful, clinical, way. In a free-floating thought association, I'm reminded of the movie 'Anatomie' with Benno Fuhrman and Franka Potente. In any event, all is great. I do want to add - I appreciate your openness in sharing your facial injuries. You are a good-looking guy - don't sweat that, if you are even worried about it. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby St.Luke » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Thank you E. It is nice to know that you enjoyed the collage.
Benno? I better not post any other portraits for I would disappoint.LOL
The cotton wool bits was my last choice for clouds. I tried photographs of clouds, and coloured paper. Each attempt had too much variation or too monotone. I tried cotton wool and it turned out to be the better choice.
I found the large scale of the collage difficult for making a blue sky out of paper. If I ever need to do something similar, on a large collage, I will paint the sky.
Thanks again.
St.Luke

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Benno's great, isn't he? I personally don't care about looks - I'm 61
and dried out as a desert cactus...Oh! I just noticed the dimensions -
uh-huh, I'd try the paint next time. I know you can get that color.
ehoeveler

Postby St.Luke » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:17 pm

E. I was 55 at time of incident (2010). I still cycle but have put on some weight since then.
My favorite oil paint color for sky is Coeruleum Blue - the same color the paper was printed from (Google colour search).
What blue were you thinking of - the same?
St.Luke

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:53 pm

LOL, I hear ya! I think you've nailed it with the Coeruleum - has the brightness of Cerulean Blue
with a small touch of violet...?
ehoeveler

Return to Art Therapy