A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

You ever lost your artistic abilities?

Everyone has issues and problems at one point in their lives. Maybe someone here has gone through exactly what you are. Come on in if you need some advice or just some one to talk to.

You ever lost your artistic abilities?

Postby chirchri » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 am

I have been quite depressed for a long time, and I always felt an urge to express myself while I was, but since that pressure’s gone, and I’m “happy”, I just don’t feel like I can create anything.
Anyone here ever experienced something like this?
Thanks for your time. :oops:
chirchri

Re: You ever lost your artistic abilities?

Postby CarlOwen » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am

Bluntly, I cannot paint or draw anything when I get depressed. I start going down that road about feeling like I am worthless, only pretending to be an artist. When I feel the state of depression coming on I usually start doing yard work or cleaning the garage or my studio, anything active to lessen the state of depression. Since I have nothing to be depressed about it is not situational depression, except for those dark dreary days with no sunshine or rain. So, I have come to the conclusion that for me the state of depression is some form of brain chemical imbalance. And since it comes in almost regular cycles it is characteristic of a bipolar, manic depressive, condition. We all have it in various degrees. The condition can become dangerous if it goes to deep into suicidal thoughts or to high into believing you have the ability to fly. If that is the level of depression you are expressing, then you need to see a doctor. Otherwise, a few, and just only a few, extra cups of coffee helps to ride it through. Going shopping is also a good way to get through it. The "bland" stage in-between depression and euphoria is many times brought about by medication. The bland stage where you feel happy but can't seem to do things, like art, is actually a subtle form of depression. Again, to see a doctor is a good idea. Hope this helps.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby www-ksart-se » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am

Hello chirchri.
Let me start by saying I agree whit Carl once more.

And then. Yes! I used to be like that to. But then I found sculpting whit clay. Which was a new medium for me a couple years ago.
Sens then I have been very productive in all types of moods. (note: that doesn't mean that i'm always productive.)

Maybe try something totally different?
www-ksart-se

Postby chirchri » Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 pm

CarlOwen wrote:Bluntly, I cannot paint or draw anything when I get depressed. I start going down that road about feeling like I am worthless, only pretending to be an artist. When I feel the state of depression coming on I usually start doing yard work or cleaning the garage or my studio, anything active to lessen the state of depression. Since I have nothing to be depressed about it is not situational depression, except for those dark dreary days with no sunshine or rain. So, I have come to the conclusion that for me the state of depression is some form of brain chemical imbalance. And since it comes in almost regular cycles it is characteristic of a bipolar, manic depressive, condition. We all have it in various degrees. The condition can become dangerous if it goes to deep into suicidal thoughts or to high into believing you have the ability to fly. If that is the level of depression you are expressing, then you need to see a doctor. Otherwise, a few, and just only a few, extra cups of coffee helps to ride it through. Going shopping is also a good way to get through it. The "bland" stage in-between depression and euphoria is many times brought about by medication. The bland stage where you feel happy but can't seem to do things, like art, is actually a subtle form of depression. Again, to see a doctor is a good idea. Hope this helps.

Many thanks, exactly ,I think this is what I needed to do
chirchri

Postby chirchri » Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 pm

www-ksart-se wrote:Hello chirchri.
Let me start by saying I agree whit Carl once more.

And then. Yes! I used to be like that to. But then I found sculpting whit clay. Which was a new medium for me a couple years ago.
Sens then I have been very productive in all types of moods. (note: that doesn't mean that i'm always productive.)

Maybe try something totally different?

Thanks for your advice , yup, it‘s time to change..
chirchri

Postby davideo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi chirchri. You don't feel like you can, and if you don't pick up a brush or a pencil, you will not. Why not do it anyway. You might consider its benefit as improving your creative language so that if you are again depressed, you will be more equipped to cope with it, to plow your way through it. If you do not feel like it, why would you post this?
davideo

Postby Pinstearn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:37 am

Agree, I don't think you can actually 'lose' your abilities. When I get depressed, it usually helps me to cope with that depression, even though the result might not be as good as I want it to be. In that moment I actually don't care about the outcome. I just want to distract myself doing stuff that I love.
Pinstearn