A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Flowers - My Eyes!!!!

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Flowers - My Eyes!!!!

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:11 am

Having trouble with this beauty - acrylic is so hard for me to blend and get the shades I want. I do like the sunstroke look for these but it's now a matter of seamless color blending, highlights and shadows - Oy! Thanks for looking, E :)
Attachments
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Flowers - My Eyes!!!!

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:05 pm

This is a different style for you... hmmm.. blending.. its a hard one to explain in message boards... with acrylic, definitely use water to your advantage. other option is allow the streaking... play with putting more than one color on a coarser bristled brush... for petals.. I use filberts or Rounds most. They allow me the flexibility of fine line to wide strokes... with a round you can put once color on the bulk of the brush..and another color (typically darker) on the tip portion of the brush.. then touch the bursh to your painting (in the center of your flower), then lay the bristles down... easily smashing and spreading the color out to create or fill the petal. It almost naturaly blends the colors... I know its silly, but try it on a separate paper... to see if yu like it.
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks, Jenn! Will try that.
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:24 pm

OY I just read that... Yikes it was rife with typos... I am so sorry...

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 pm

No problem, my dear - I got the jist! Really, I have some small round bristle brushes that I'm about to use - will report back. E
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 am

I will send you a pic in private message.. Sorry it's a lil blurry... I can try to take a better picture... But I wanted to give an example of what I was talking about.

This is a close up of the whole, but it used the technique. Some of these petals... I did in two layers. White first... Fuschia second. Both with clean round brush, full paint, tip down in stamon center then laying length of bristles down and out to outer petal edge.

The others. Done just the way described before... White and Fuschia on brush together... Same application technique.

In the pic you will see blend variation. Coarser bristle brush, will enhance the texture of course.
Hope that helps...

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby kcortese » Sat May 03, 2014 7:41 am

Elizabeth, flowers can be a real pain. I use acrylic paint all the time and know how hard it is to blend. I found that when doing flowers, loading your brush with the one stroke method and manipulating the brush while applying, you can get the desired depth in a flower. Then go back and fine tune it with veins and texture. Painting leaves with the one stroke method is very easy and fun too. Practice on a piece of paper before applying to the canvas.
kcortese

Postby ehoeveler » Mon May 05, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks, Karen - 'one stroke' it will be - thanks for your help, my dear!
ehoeveler

Postby kcortese » Mon May 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Elizabeth, you are very sweet. I think this painting looks just fine the way it is.

I sometimes load my brush with 3 different colors. It's fast and fun! I do test runs on scratch paper to figure out what I want to accomplish. The brush shape depends on what kind of flower or leaf you are painting. When layering petals for a rose or carnation, use a hair dryer to dry the first back layer of petals. OR you can just go with wet on wet. I tend to use different sizes of flat brushes for roses, carnations, so on and so forth. For single layered flowers like daises, or petunias, I use a round brush.

I'm sure you will figure it out for yourself, after all you are a professional and your work is ALWAYS OUTSTANDING.

Have fun.
kcortese

Postby ehoeveler » Tue May 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Loading the brush with different colors sounds good - I'm also dripping color into color for a flow-y effect.
Good advice with the hair-dryer - I found that the bottom layer will come up (even after being supposedly dry).
I may even use a faint coat of gel medium to cover the bottom layer and then use the dryer...Thanks, Hon!
ehoeveler