A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

could be done,new portrait

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

could be done,new portrait

Postby zookeeper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 am

not satisfied with the back ground but ya got ta stop sometime.Any suggestions though might open my eyes.
Attachments
zookeeper

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: could be done,new portrait

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Honestly I'm not qualified to suggest changes with this. To my eye it is full of life and light.
I'm loving the style of your tree leaves and they have both interesting color and depth.
I say, don't change a thing. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Actually, I think its really great as it is.. and you could be satisfied with making no more changes. In fact, I really like the stylized technique you employed here... it has a signature in it, that makes it stand out on its own and be interesting to the viewer while also having a unique quality that speaks to you, the artist.

For future like works, however... I would pay attention to the shadows and highlights. Not sure if you were working from a photo or if the background improvised...but it appears to have minor light source inconsistencies. (For instance, the shadow coming off the subject (the gentleman), it doesn't appear to match up at its base (near the feet) to the bulk of the figure. It appears more to relate to the forward foot/leg, rather than the one farther away. The direction of the shadow casted off the figure, differs from the shadow being casted from the greenery surrounding him. Yet, for this peice it adds a surreal interest for the viewer that is quite pleasing, and for those specifically looking for realism they may notice, but its still not critical to the overall presentation of the peice.

I say.. Well Done!
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby zookeeper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks to you both for your comments.I'm taking a second look at those shadows.Thanks again .... Zookeeper
zookeeper

Postby Symphoneus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 pm

This picture is amazing.
I would suggest adding more shadow in the back (specifically along the fence). Right now the man standing in the picture looks incredibly realistic, while the background appears more whimsical, and as was previously said, these shadows don't match perfectly with the primary subject.

This is probably just me over thinking things, but as it appears to me:
It looks like you were afraid to take your eyes off of the man while you continued to work in the background. It seems like you put a great deal of work in presenting the man's face (which is beautifully outlined by the trees), but as you continue to the rest of the picture, it feels a though you may have lost some of this inspiration.
Regardless this is a beautiful piece of work, and the fact that you still seen it as a WIP I find highly commendable!
Now just need to work on getting my dedication up to that 8p

*edit: when i say "along the fence" I mean along the GRASS beneath the fence sorry...
Symphoneus