A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My new drawing "Mayfly" WIPs

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

My new drawing "Mayfly" WIPs

Postby mayumi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Do you know the lifespan of an adult mayfly is from 30 minutes to one day?
Last edited by mayumi on Fri May 13, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayumi

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 pm

I like the look of this work so far. And ofcourse her face is outstanding.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mayumi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 am

johnwalkeasy wrote:I like the look of this work so far. And ofcourse her face is outstanding.

Thank you, John!
mayumi

Postby BYart » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm

This is looking wonderful! I esp. like the vine(?) petals and all the intricate flower petals at her feet! Very detailed! Will be watching...
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby mayumi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:22 pm

BYart wrote:This is looking wonderful! I esp. like the vine(?) petals and all the intricate flower petals at her feet! Very detailed! Will be watching...

Thank you so much, Barb! I just finished it so I'll post it as soon as I can!!
mayumi

Mayfly - completed

Postby mayumi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 am

I wish her wings were a bit longer but in order to do so I had to draw her a lot smaller and I didn't want to do that. I'm happy with overall look, though. The rays of sunshine turned out better than I thought.

Thank you for viewing!
Last edited by mayumi on Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mayumi

Postby johnbriner » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Mayumi,

This mayfly interpretation is very well done. I really like her face, and I don't think such a beautiful face is ephemeral, instead it's enduring -- something that cannot be easily forgotten. The final result is just wonderful. The only thing that I noticed is the watermark. I find it a bit distracting, maybe because of the size, but that's just me though. Other than that, I find no flaws on this.
[url=http://john
iner.wordpress.com/]John Briner Art[/url]
johnbriner

Postby nigelartist » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:26 am

john
iner wrote:
Mayumi,

This mayfly interpretation is very well done. I really like her face, and I don't think such a beautiful face is ephemeral, instead it's enduring -- something that cannot be easily forgotten. The final result is just wonderful. The only thing that I noticed is the watermark. I find it a bit distracting, maybe because of the size, but that's just me though. Other than that, I find no flaws on this.

Simply beautiful although I agree with John that the signature is off putting. I would erase it and modify the one you have in the corner but other than that again...simply beautiful.
nigelartist

Postby mayumi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 pm

john
iner wrote:
Mayumi,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I have experiences more than a few times that some of my drawings were stolen from other art site, and were posted as someone's work, were being sold as wallpaper, etc. So I decided to add ugly watermark. I know... it doesn't look good...

Edit: I've just finished my new drawing and I added a smaller watermark on the bottom. Hope no one would bother... we'll see. :D
Last edited by mayumi on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayumi

Postby mayumi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:29 pm

nigelartist wrote:
john
iner wrote:
Mayumi,

Simply beautiful although I agree with John that the signature is off putting. I would erase it and modify the one you have in the corner but other than that again...simply beautiful.

Thank you so much for the compliment! As I replied to John, I have a bad experiences of art theft, and that's why I have watermark right in the middle of my drawings. It's ugly, I know... but once I had a small watermark on the corner someone just cropped it and posted it as her work. I was hoping that having it in the middle would discourage some art thieves. I just finished my new drawing, and I added a smaller watermark on the bottom. I feel nervous but see how it goes. Maybe no one will bother. :D
mayumi

Postby ehoeveler » Sun May 01, 2011 4:46 am

So lovely - well, when you send out your
artwork, keep the size of your file low - like here,
for example - that way anything someone tries to
repro of yours will be tiny. No one will want it.
Also, If a gallery is trying to rip you off by
copying your work, just put a watermark that doesn't
show to the visible eye but comes out when you try to copy it.
Now, If someone has bought your work and is trying to sell it as
his/her own, take a paint
ush and paint your name, date, etc.
in big, bold letters across the back (before you sell it).
Or, use a symbol that you know but the buyer doesn't know, etc.
Change the symbol every now and then, etc.
Many ways to skin a cat. Finally, be flattered by (and feel sorry for)
that someone who is trying to rip your stuff.
Good Luck, your work is fabulous!
ehoeveler

Postby mayumi » Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 pm

ehoeveler wrote:So lovely - well, when you send out your
artwork, keep the size of your file low - like here,
for example - that way anything someone tries to
repro of yours will be tiny. No one will want it.
Also, If a gallery is trying to rip you off by
copying your work, just put a watermark that doesn't
show to the visible eye but comes out when you try to copy it.
Now, If someone has bought your work and is trying to sell it as
his/her own, take a paint
ush and paint your name, date, etc.
in big, bold letters across the back (before you sell it).
Or, use a symbol that you know but the buyer doesn't know, etc.
Change the symbol every now and then, etc.
Many ways to skin a cat. Finally, be flattered by (and feel sorry for)
that someone who is trying to rip your stuff.
Good Luck, your work is fabulous!

Thank you so much for the compliment, and for those useful tips. I'm editing all my drawing images. I guess... I should be flattered that someone thinks my drawings are good enough that they wants to steal. ^^ Thank you again!
mayumi

Postby BYart » Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 pm

WOW! Wonderful finish! You did a fantastic job on the sunlit rays! The entire concept is very well executed!

As to internet art theft, technology has it down side doesn't it?
I agree with everyone's suggestions as to keeping your work safe by reducing file sizes(keep around 72-80). As stated, that way if they try to download and print a copy, the file size is too small to matter.
Another suggestion is to add a transparent layer on top of your image(in photo editing), cannot be seen while viewing, but if someone copies the image...all they end up with is a "blank" picture(will show to them as a white square.
I learned that trick when i was having images stolen from my site by someone is China! Sad to say, there is plenty of art theft on the internet.

I hope to see more of your fabulous creations very soon!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby mayumi » Wed May 04, 2011 9:46 am

BYart wrote:WOW! Wonderful finish! You did a fantastic job on the sunlit rays! The entire concept is very well executed!

As to internet art theft, technology has it down side doesn't it?
I agree with everyone's suggestions as to keeping your work safe by reducing file sizes(keep around 72-80). As stated, that way if they try to download and print a copy, the file size is too small to matter.
Another suggestion is to add a transparent layer on top of your image(in photo editing), cannot be seen while viewing, but if someone copies the image...all they end up with is a "blank" picture(will show to them as a white square.
I learned that trick when i was having images stolen from my site by someone is China! Sad to say, there is plenty of art theft on the internet.

I hope to see more of your fabulous creations very soon!

Hi Barb,
Thank you for the lovely comment! I really appreciate your suggestions regarding the art theft. I'm quite interested in adding a transparent layer but I have no idea how... I'm not very good with computer. I have GIMP and I use it to add my water mark... so it must be something similar to that?
Thank you again!
Mayumi
mayumi

Postby krysta11 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 am

All I can say here is WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Mayfly

Postby demac » Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 pm

This is beautifully done and love the detail the only issue that does stick out is the arm on the Left (one with no hair trailing around it)

The armpit is slightly wrong you wouldn't see so much of it and also the finish of the elbow is too high and there is no crease of the inner elbow - if you hold you arm in that exact position the elbow comes to the waist line and the turn of the hand you would see the crease of your inner arm. Also you need to give a hint of cleaveage very subtle but otherwise this is totally amazing. Can not fault the beauty of it

Deanne
demac