A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

White Mustang

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

White Mustang

Postby Sandra Haley » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:26 pm

:D
Hello everyuone I am posting this new piece I tired this past week. I normally try to do as close to realism as possiable,, BUT I wanted to lossen up my work some trying something new. So here goes. I used a photo of a red stallion mustang for this painting, it was from the BLM free domain photos which give permission for photos to be used, so I took them up on it.
I started this piece by sketching in lightly the horse and then using up the little paint pots i had put left over paint from previous paintings to ruffly block in the painting. I noticed something magical happening so i went with it. I wasn't really caring about the colors I picked up to work with and foudn I liked the various colorsthrough out the piece, then taking Titanium white and used it to soften up the painting for the final piece. I know that Titanium white tends to yello wwith age so I used it on purpose because I know this will only get better with age if it does yellow. All comments are welcome on both works in progress and the final painting. I will be touching up the eyes a tiny bit but don't want to lose the loose feel of the painting by doing to much.

Thanks Friends
Sandra :D
Attachments
Mustang WIP.JPG
Stage one Mustang Stallion
Mustang WIP.JPG (67.9 KiB)
mustangdone.jpg
Finished Painting White Mustang
mustangdone.jpg (82.13 KiB)
Sandra Haley

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 pm

I like this a lot - even though you're
using titanium white (good idea -
didn't know that!), your Mustang
is warm and personal.
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

RE:Re:White Mustang

Postby Sandra Haley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am

Thank you very much. It was a fun project and my first horse portraiture. Sorry about the typos, I was typing to fast and switched some letters. :oops: :lol:
Sandra
Sandra Haley

Postby amachristian » Tue May 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Very Beautiful Painting. I love paintings of horses. I've always wondered how other painters get everything so perfect when painting animals since I don't do them too well myself. I love the muscle tones and even though you said you've loosened up a bit on realism, I think this still has great realism quality.
Sheri
amachristian

Postby BYart » Thu May 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Me likey!!! :D :D
My fav. subject, and in my fav. color! You've handled the subtle variations of light very well! I haven't seen much of your work, but if this isn't your normal style, then I would say explore this losser style further as it obviously suits you!
Definately has the Mustang "wildness" to it, love the mane!
You don't mention, but I assume this is acrylic?
Well done and look forward to more!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby nigelartist » Fri May 13, 2011 5:43 am

Simply beautiful!

I love the look on the horses face.

Great!
nigelartist

Postby krysta11 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:08 am

Sandra your painting is very nice. I like to see horses in art. Tried many times to paint them but didn't find myself in this subject. Too difficult.
Impressive work.
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11