A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

African Mother and Child

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

African Mother and Child

Postby Cancer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:09 am

I am busy with this one of a Himba Tribal woman and child. I have only been painting since December and this is only my 6th attempt. Please feel free to critique in order to improve. I still have to do all the detail like on the necklace of mother and baby, mother's hair, the shell round her neck ect. Any comments welcome and needed. I do want to enter it for a rather important competition.
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 006.jpg (104.42 KiB)
Cancer

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby BYart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 am

Hi!
I'm not sure of the medium?
What a wonderful painting! You are doing a great job! I'm sure you are as you said going to add a bit more detail...my suggestions would be to add mom's eyelashes, and perhaps a darker lip color, as if you are to leave it light, to me it's too distracting.
I am also a bit confused about the lighter
own area just to the left(our left) of child's body...is that the mother's arm? It seems a bit out of whack and i think you could leave it off as given the position of the baby and the crop of the image, I don't think we would see her arm anyway. Just suggestions...hope you don't mind.
I think you have done a great job, especially the child, and I cannot wait to see how you finish this off! Best of luck in your competition, this will surely rank high!
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

After some more work

Postby Cancer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:56 am

After some more work on my Mother and child. Still not finished though. Still need to do the baby's necklace and some other minor details.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (108.61 KiB)
Cancer

Postby demac » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:47 pm

this is beautifully done, one lesson i have learnt is if you are not happy with it start onother project, walk away for a while and then you will be touching it up as you see it differently in a different mood or light etc

Remember to step away go for a walk then come back its works a treat. Sometimes its disheartening when youi keep reworking it and it doesn't seem to go right. Don't give up, you have created a lovely piece of work.

Deanne :O)
demac