A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Jakes Rocks

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kcortese » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Mike

Thank you very much for your input and badly needed suggestions. I will take your advise very seriously.

I agree with the water rolling off some more to the left over the boulder. I will also make the water not as heavy coming off the top by adding some gray to
ing the boulder more visible. And I could give a it more direction at the bottom around the rock which Dezzi is standing on.

I still don't know about the girl either, undecided about her and easily removed when and if I change my mind. Maybe a gray-blue for the jeans, perhaps the
ight blue is too much.

I'll work on it in a few days with fresh eyes.

Working on a series small pastel paintings of bull riders and bucking
oncos right now. I have to increase my inventory and get ready for the summer rodeo season around here.

Wood burning will start when I can open some windows because it makes my house smell smoky. During the winter months I work on paintings and pastels.

Thank you very much for the help.

Karen
kcortese

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby oilpainter2247 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:11 pm

hello karen ,,,,yea it might work gray-blue for the jeans,,,,,,,,,,,but yet i am still looking at her hair in this .........i will see what you do next ,,,,,,,,,,and like always reply again .............have a wonderful day .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby kcortese » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Mike,

Thank you soooooo much for helping me. We all know what different pair of eyes can see.

Believe it or not, but her hair really does look like that. I may put some highlights and soften it a bit more. It does look a little rough.

Still though, I may eliminate the girl all together. Who knows, I'll think about it when I work on it some more.

The painting is sitting up in my work area, and when I go in there, I still look at it. So it may not be finished yet.
kcortese

Postby BYart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi Karen,
I think you did a great job on this, love all the detail in the rocks, etc.
I still think the girl should be left out, but it's your painting and i like it!
One thing though that's been 'bugging me"...the waterfall just seems to appear out of nowhere. Maybe if you would create some water starting at the top of the boulders(off to side at crevices), then narrow it's width as it tops the boulder(above girl). Also to make the falls a bit more shallow by creating some sense of rock behind the falls, would lessen the need for narrowing at falls.
Oh...while may not be evident in your area(at least not that you've seen), beavers are in habitat all over this US.(just fyi).
Just suggestions :wink:
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby kcortese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Barb,

Thank you for the advise, I'll work on it in a few days with fresh eyes.

I know beavers are here in Pennsylvania, but I never saw any beaver dams around this area. I'm sure there are though.

I'm thinking about removing Dezzi also.
kcortese

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Karen, it's coming along beautifully. I like the girl testing out the waterfall, it would be a lovely touch. She would fit in nicely...if...you could give her a more natural pose. I see on the photograph she's a bit stiff as she's reaching out, probably due to the uncomfortable grip she had on that rock. I'd suggest use a looser, more natural pose for her. Don't even look at your photo. :) Good luck.
Erika Takacs

Postby kcortese » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you Erica.

I'm glad to be getting other input on the girl. When I work on the painting again, I'll take all the suggestions seriously as to the water flow, and the human figure.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. Keep them coming because I need it.

I'm not doing any artwork for a few days. I'm not doing very well, migraine headache, dizziness, and sever nausea.

Have to go.

Till next time.

Karen
kcortese

Postby oilpainter2247 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 am

karen i hope you feel much better very soon . try and have a good night .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby mspiper » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:05 am

It looks great Karen. Almost 'photo-real'. The waterfall in the photo has a little less water at the top and a seems little wider at the bottom. In the painting, your waterfall at the top is almost jetting upward, where in the photo, it is spilling down at a little different decline. I think what Mike notices about the girls hair is that in the photo it is a little more subtle of a color. In your painting it is a little
ighter red. Sometimes the photo seems to dull down what we remember in our minds eye...My daughter's hair is pure black in my mind...she's half-Navajo...so naturally I 'think' of her hair as Black, when actually it is really a dark
own with subtle highlights of red, and darker areas that seem black. ...Oh! And I vote for Dezzi! :D
mspiper

Postby weirdpuckett » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:17 pm

Well, I love this . . . .I mean . . .how does a painting come out wayyyyyyyyy better than the dang photo it was taken from? Leave desiree IN the painting! The red hair is awesome!!!! yes she is beautiful and if I was her Dad , I wouldn't even tell her we were takin' the boat out that day!!!She is a beauty . .Thia is awesome!!!!
weirdpuckett

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 am

Karen, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope you get better soon.
Erika Takacs

Looks good so far

Postby mspiper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am

I think it's looking good so far. I like Dez in this one, but I think in the photo,her hair color is a little lighter. As as for the waterfall, I agree with Mike...in the photo, the waterfall is narrower at the top and it comes down at a steeper decline than your painting. But the rest is almost photo real and I vote to keep the girl! :D
mspiper

Hey Karen

Postby rrsum » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hope you're feeling better! I like this painting a lot. Can you move Dezzi to a sitting position on one of the rocks nearby? Put her in a more contemplative mood or pose?

This is a beautiful setting...stay after it! It's going to be very beautiful my friend! :wink:
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby Juliep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Karen,

Oh I've got lots to get caught up on. This in particular, gorgeous!! And your DIL is too. As I was scrolling thru it was the 3rd pic that reminded me of O'Conners (?) Mill near Butler, PA. My DA's side of the family is from there and we'd spend hours hiking around there, playing in the water. Lots of fun. Beautiful work.

J
Juliep

Postby kcortese » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Mspiper, Mike,Erika, Rich, and Julie.

My apologies for the late reply to your helpful suggestions and kind replies to this piece.

I haven't worked on this piece in over a week and am still looking at it. Undecided about the human figure. Should I change the posture or remove her all together?

Do you think the human figure takes away from the atmosphere of the landscape? Is the figure too distracting?

I'm not sure. Leave it in, or take it out?

Any votes on this matter?

Karen
kcortese

Postby oilpainter2247 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 pm

karen karen karen ,,,,,,,,,you still thinking about it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well i came back here to look again ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the girl in this still might be to much ................i am not saying at all this is a bad painting ,,it is darn wonderful

but still feeling in this that it is too much ......................you no karen if you are not going to sell it soon ..........start a new one and look at it everyday . and see how you feel each day ab out it .................then maybe there will be more people posting here and you can take in there feelings about it :D mike
oilpainter2247

Postby kcortese » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks Mike

One vote to remove, will make a mental note.
kcortese

Postby Serenitypeggy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm

[size=12] Hi Karen :D
Nice to see someone painting Pa. I lived there for 30 yrs., in Potter & Tioga Counties. Your back ground, rocks and trees are great. Have to agree about the girl, I don't think she ads to the painting. Just my opinion.
Kinzua Dam is a wonderful place wish I could be there to paint it too.
Oh...now I paint in Iowa, a Big change of scenery.
Connie R.
Serenitypeggy

Postby kcortese » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks for your input Connie.

Two votes to remove. Glad I'm getting some good feedback to help me with my decision on the girl.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful state behind the roads and highways. Most people don't realize this which is why I want to paint these scenes for others to see.

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment.

Karen
kcortese

Paint it...

Postby rrsum » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am

Paint it as you see it and feel it Karen. Make yourself happy with the painting and others will like it...or...they won't. What's important is how YOU feel about it.

Can't wait to see the final piece! :D
Rich Summers
rrsum

PreviousNext

Return to Works In Progress