A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Jelly Fish

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Jelly Fish

Postby Juliep » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am

I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to be some place tropical. Well that's not going to happen soon so... off to the drawing board to create something tropical and here I go with jellies.

I've done a small painting of jellies and wanted to do a large one. This is oil paints on 24x 48 MDF board.

This is just the rough in phase. Just working on the background. I took a rag and wipped out the places I had sketched in jellies but I don't like the placement of some of them so I'll be tweaking things along the way.

Appologies upfront as this will be a slow wip being that it's oils.
Attachments
jelly wip 1.jpg
jelly wip 1.jpg (28.64 KiB)
Juliep

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:56 am

Julie, I saw your other one in the contest, and I loved it. This one's shaping up nicely too. The only suggestion I would have, change the direction of one of the jellies on the bottom for more interest.
Erika Takacs

Fun!

Postby rrsum » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:03 pm

Looks like this will be a fun one Julie! Lots of motion and color! Look forward to seeing it progress.
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby kcortese » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 pm

I'll be watching this one Julie.

Love the overall subject, you make the Jelly Fish very interesting and pleasing to look at. Excited to watch this one progress.

Karen
kcortese

Postby Juliep » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks Erika, great minds think alike, I already changed the bottom jellies, and added one so there are now seven v six (always need odds) and changed the shape and sizes of the top ones while I added another layer to the water.

Thanks too, Rrsum and Karen. I prefer fun subjects :D .

Hopefully tomorow I'll be able to start the jellies. We split and moved about 15 face cords of fire wood today so I'm a bit tired out. I'll update tomorrow with a day time picture and if time permits the start of the jellyfish.

Juliep
Juliep

Postby Juliep » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 am

Hi, here's an update. I've added another jelly so it's not an even grouping. Made some adjustments to the other jellies and started working with white for a base. It's turning out almost like the gisele (sp?) method, although I'm using blue tint instead of grey. This is new for me so hopefully it turns out okay.

I'm also taking artistic license with the jellyfish tentacles. Instead of being curly I'm going to make them more like veils. Not normally on these kinds of jellyfish. Any marine biologist out there please use some suspended disbelief in this work :D .

Appologies for the crummy image. It was taken in poor light. It's next to our wood burning stove so it can dry. The upper jelly fish aren't really that blurry and the bottom isn't that dark.

Thanks for looking,
Attachments
jellies wip 2.jpg
jellies wip 2.jpg (29.68 KiB)
Juliep

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am

It's shaping up nicely.
Erika Takacs

Postby kcortese » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:51 am

Love the color and light, this is an awesome piece! Keep up the good work!

I'm still thinking of the swallow.

Karen
kcortese

Postby BYart » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Looking great Julie!
Will be watching for updates.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby Juliep » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks Ladies,

I added a little more white, where I'll be placing yellow and I'm letting it dry today. Hopefully, if all goes well at work I'll be back to the easel tomorrow.

Speaking of wich, I've got tot get going there now.

Julie
Juliep

Postby kcortese » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 am

Looking forward to the update.
kcortese

Postby weirdpuckett » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Looks great thus far . . .I have never even thiught of painting jellies . . .Interesting as I know that they have asome sort of translucency that is probably pretty tuff to do . . .
weirdpuckett

Postby Juliep » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:37 am

Here's the update. I took two photos to give you a better feel of what's going on. For some silly reason I started from the bottom up :roll: . Now I get to deal with wet paint below me :? . I haven't even touched the top ones.

Two of them a pretty much finished except for the red tenticles. The middle one will need some more glazes and the top finished one I'm still playing around with. That's what I like about oil paint is the ability to clear it off if you don't like it :P .

Mike, the transparency is pretty simple once you get undercoats and layers down. It just takes some forward thinking.

Lucky me I get to work on this today :D .

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
wip4 jellies.jpg
wip4 jellies.jpg (33.25 KiB)
wip3 jellies.jpg
wip3 jellies.jpg (32.46 KiB)
Juliep

Postby weirdpuckett » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:17 am

Coming along nicely!
weirdpuckett

Looking good!

Postby rrsum » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Looking good Julie! It's going to be a beauty!
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby Juliep » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks guys. Didn't get a chance to work on it lately :? ......but at least the bottom ones will be dry. Hope to do more this weekend.

Cheers,

J
Juliep

Postby Juliep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Happy Day, I got to paint :D . Did a little more on the jellies, they all have color now but they are incomplete at this time. More glazes and some scrumbling to do still, but with oils you have to be patient.....

Sorry for the odd image. It's hard to take a picture on a painting this large in a small room with poor lighting :roll: . I stood up on my chair looking down above the light.

Hope to work on it more tomorrow. Thanks for looking :wink: .
Attachments
jellies-wip-5ish.jpg
jellies-wip-5ish.jpg (41.1 KiB)
Juliep

Postby Juliep » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:16 am

Well things dried and I got back to work on the jelly fish. Here's the latest update. I'm thinking I'm close to being done. Probably one more session of glazes and adding red tenticles :D .

This is really difficult to photograph. I'm hoping to get it outside and set up a tripod inorder to get a better photo once it's all dried. currently I work in a little 7.5 x 9 foot room filled with bookshelves full of books and art equipment so there's not much floor space.
Attachments
jellies-wip-6.jpg
jellies-wip-6.jpg (38.77 KiB)
Juliep