A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Grandma's portrait

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Grandma's portrait

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Lifesize, paper mache.
The headscarf will be done in mache as well, when the head is dry.

Erika Takacs

Postby BYart » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Erika!
You have outdone yourself! This is fantastic already! I can't wait to see how this finishes out as in my eyes it is perfect.
The detail you achieve with your medium and technique is awesome!
Great work! :D
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks, Barb, outdone is a pretty good assessment. :wink: I can't believe myself the possibilities paper mache is offering. Of course an old and wrinkled face is a very good fit for mache.
Erika Takacs

Postby krysta11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Erika Takacs wrote:Thanks, Barb, outdone is a pretty good assessment. :wink: I can't believe myself the possibilities paper mache is offering. Of course an old and wrinkled face is a very good fit for mache.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :D :D

Erika, I can't believe my eyes. You did it so perfect!! I am amazed with your talent. Thank you for showing your work.

Your Grandma was beautiful and full of love, patience ....
Big hug to you E!
K.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby Juliep » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 am

Hi Erika,

Oh this gives me goosebumps! This is just awesome. I love the expression on her face and your ability to make it so life like is incredible.

J
Juliep

Postby krysta11 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:43 am

E. I must tell you , that I was here already 5 times to look at your at Her. How did you do it?!!!
OMG!!! Your GRANDMA must be even more proud of you now. You are showing here how much you loved her when she was alive. Love Her warm glance and this soft, sweet smile.
I am sure , that you had a very emotional moments when you worked on this sculpture. Did you cry sometimes during your work? I am sure you did.
I would if I created something so close to my heart.
You are a great artist E!
K.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks Krysta and Julie! You're right K, she was a very loving person, and I tried to show her as I knew her as a child. I guess it was that child in me that pushed me so hard, I cannot believe myself, but this is really how my grandma looked. To answer your question, while working on the face, couldn't afford to get emotional and
eak the concentration, but yes, I got emotional a few times after just looking at the bust and thinking of her. I'm very worried how much it's going to shrink, because it will at its own will, and I'll have to fix in some spots for sure, so hope I don't lose the expression. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Erika Takacs

Postby kcortese » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Erika!

Very good job!!! Perfect in every way, you are a fantastic sculptor! Didn't realize it could be worked with such detail.

Is your grandmother still with you? She looks so loving.

Is there any way of slowing down the drying like working with clay? I used to bag my clay sculptures so it dried evenly.

I never did much in paper mache but hopefully you can control the drying process so the top layer doesn't dry too fast. I never liked paper mache I felt it was too sticky and it bothered me touching it after a while.

Karen
kcortese

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks, Karen. My grandmother died when I was 13.
Yes, this type of mache is good for about one week in room temperature, probably a lot longer in a fridge, but I don't have enough room for works, just keep my unused mache there. Yes, it's sticky, but almost as workable as clay and it's dust free which is a major advantage for my kitchen studio and my lungs. :)
So far only minor, manageable distortions, I used a foamball for the head, it seems to be working.
Erika Takacs

Postby oilpainter2247 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 am

this is wonderful Erika i just love the way this is comein out for you ,, your work keeps on getting better all the time . wow .have a great day and like i always say stay safe .mike
oilpainter2247

Wow

Postby rrsum » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:03 pm

:shock:
Excellent

'nuff said...
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby bergina » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm

This is a stunning piece of work.
Al
bergina

Impressed

Postby pehiatt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:49 pm

I am very impressed with what you can accomplish with such an unlikely medium as paper mache.
pehiatt

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:29 am

Mike, Rich, Al, Patrick, wow, I'm really humbled...
Erika Takacs

I would love a few tips on working with paper machie

Postby vijart » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 am

Hi Erika, I a student of 5th grade just love your work. though I have sculpted a few things in clay would love to have tips on the paper machie medium which is eco friendly and the need of the hour in our country. can you please do an article on it in the tips and tutorials section of this site. thanks.
vijart

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:49 am

Hi Vijart, welcome to our site. I looked at your gallery, you're very talented. I'm glad you're interested in sculpting in paper mache. I'm sorry I'm too tided up with deadlines at the moment for a tutorial, but I'll keep it in mind.
Meanwhile, I can give you suggestions and tips on work in progress here in the forum. The process is very similar to working with clay, so just start on a project, post it and I can help. I'm not sure in what country you are, but if you can buy celluclay or Fast Mache that comes in powdered form and you just need to add water to it. I tried to make my own mache, but got a bad reaction to the glue used. Now I'm using Fast Mache.
You can make an armature out of wire, aluminum foil, even paper or anything else you can think of as mache adheres easily to most materials. Thickness is best between 1/2 to 1 inches. If you can't finish your piece in one session, wrap it plastic. Usually the mache is good for about one week. I just heard if you add oil of cloves to the mix it won't mold, and is good for even longer.
Get started, and I'm more than happy to help!
Erika Takacs

Postby Singular » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Erika, this is world class work you have done. I mean it. So tell me, how do you plan on handling the neck?
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Erika Takacs » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks a lot, Joe, I never doubt your words. Yes, the neck needed quite a bit of thinking, and I did figure out a good way I think. I don't really like traditional busts solutions that much from head down, so I'll sculpt a form resembling a tree trunk wrapped around her neck loosely, the neck basically covered by the sculpted scarf. Hope I can pull it off. I'll post it when done.
Erika Takacs

Postby Menolly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Phenomenal work! I didn't realize you could manage that much detail with paper mache either. Good luck with the finishing touches!
Menolly

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks, Menolly, progress is slow, I'm considering every step. It didn't shrink too much, but the face doesn't look exactly the same in its hardened state. I tried to
ing it as close as possible by adding more mache where it was needed.
Hope you show us some of your sculpts soon.
Erika Takacs

Next