A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Current project-Marathon project!

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Current project-Marathon project!

Postby BYart » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:44 pm

This is my second in colored pencils. So far I've almost finished his antlers(many layers later :lol: ), and am progressing to the head/neck area.
Will fix his front leg(too thin) when I get to that point. I also plan on doing a rocky background, so this one will take a long time...but I am loving these pencils!! :D
Sorry scanner cut off bottom as this paper(Bristol Smooth) is larger than scanner bed, but you get the idea. :wink:
Attachments
Buck in CP wip.jpg
Buck in CP wip.jpg (65.09 KiB)
Last edited by BYart on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby krysta11 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:04 pm

OMG!!!!

Barb, this one will be wonderful!!

I cant wait to see this piece finished. Wow!!!
k.
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby lmarie23 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:20 pm

very promising beginning. i find it difficult to achieve realism with colored pencils so i admire your skills. i'll be looking forward to seeing the result. :)
lmarie23

Postby BYart » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks Krysta and lmarie23!
Finally am figuring out my new laptop, it's running Windows Vista, so I'm still trying to figure out HOW to do what I normally do with my image files etc.
Anyway, here are a couple of updates on this piece with a question...on my new monitor, my art now looks really "grainy"...does it appear to you that way as well, or do I need to figure out how to reset these monitor settings on my new computer?

I'm still working on the Buck...his body has about 4 layers left to go :lol: , decided to see IF I could do the background in CPs as well, so I tried with a couple of scrub
ush type bushes and a couple of rocks :lol: :lol: :lol: , you know me and my rocks!
I don't know if you can make out the lightly sketched in portion of the background...but it will be very detailed and this one will take me a long time...but I love doing it!
Attachments
BuckWIP3.jpg
BuckWIP3.jpg (106.33 KiB)
BuckWIP2.jpg
BuckWIP2.jpg (104.99 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby xxbreezy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Looking fabulous so far!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Postby saphyre » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Absaloutly gorgeoues. These pencils have suited your style so well.
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby BYart » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:16 pm

xx
eezy wrote:
Looking fabulous so far!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!
Linda

Thanks Linda! Your comments are always so encouraging and helpful...thank you!
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 pm

saphyre wrote:Absaloutly gorgeoues. These pencils have suited your style so well.

Thanks so much saphyre!

For those tha might be interested...I have figured out why i was advised that the Bristol Smooth paper may not be the best choice for a very detailed, many multi layered drawing :oops: ...it only takes about 6 light layers. Then if you count a burnishing(blending with splendor colorless pencil), it actually will only take about 5 or so. If your layers are "heavy", then that number would be reduced.
Tomorrow i will spray with fixative to see if additional layers are able to be applied. I will let you know.
ALSO, i have learned what is meant by "wax bloom" in CP work. The Kol I Noor pencils i had mentioned i was using in addition to the Rem
andts(the set of these had a few extra colors not in my Rem
andt set), are actually more of the waxy pigment...so the wax will float to the surface of the drawing, causing a grayed out appearance after a few days. To avoid this, you will need to wipe down the drawing(if bloom has occurred), with a tissue or cotton ball, rubbing in direction of strokes. Then spray. Make sure you have blended the previous layers or you will not be able to after fixative.
Here is a bit more i got done today, i am not having much time to work on this at the moment, but hope to finish over the weekend, time permitting.
This is another scan , so the colors are a bit harder looking, i will take another digital after i finish.
I have also learned that for those wanting to try CPs, get the biggest set you can afford, as colors don't "mix", only blending is accomplished. so the more variey of colors the better.
I currently am needing a soft violet, like a grey violet...don't have so trying to make due.
Without further ado-
Attachments
Buck WIP4.jpg
Buck WIP4.jpg (197.87 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Today I was able to spend about an hour, will work on it more tonight.
NOTE TO SELF- when learning a new medium, don't pick a project with such detail and try to work a bit smaller at first! :roll: :roll:
OH well! So...I will retitle this thread my Marathon project :lol: :lol:
This is a digital photo of the original-yes.... still in progress!
Attachments
Buck WIP4.jpg
Buck WIP4.jpg (199.39 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 am

Just outstanding Barb!! You have taken so much time with this and it shows. Your blending of the colors is working so well together. It will be worth the time you have in it, in the end.....well done!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Postby BYart » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks so much Linda!
This will be the last update, as I'm hoping to finish midground and sky tomorrow. :lol: :lol:
This is another digital of it, but I must tell you...with my new lap top...I'm having a difficult time getting used to the LCD screen and it's difference in the way the art shows, so I hope this shows well...if not let me know, so I can adjust my monitor(again :? )
I figure about another 2 hrs. and it will be finished!
Attachments
Buck WIP5.jpg
Buck WIP5.jpg (194.05 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby BYart » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:27 pm

FINISHED!!! :shock: Posted in "I'm ready for the Fury"...please go have a look. Thanks for following along!
Barb

BYart