A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Two treasured Loves of My Life (WIP)

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Two treasured Loves of My Life (WIP)

Postby BYart » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
I hope you all have been well and happy! Been awhile for me, been ill and had another recent loss in my life. But...I'm back and wanting to show a portrait I'm working on.
I lost the greatest love of my life, my husband Charley(as many of you know already), 2.5 years ago. More recently, I lost another love of my life, my Big Black, loving Great Dane...Rally.
Emmotional, struggling as I do this portrait of the two of them. Working from a reference photo I have of them sitting together, with Charley's arm around our "Big Boy".
It's obviously a work in progress, and it is proving difficult, yet I smile through my tears, and realize they are both guiding me.
I can just imagine Rally asking "Dad"..."Dad...why can't she pet me anymore, and why can't I lick her tears away,...she needs me".
And Charley's response would be, "Our job is to now watch over her, and when she is feeling sad and lonely...to give her a sign that we are still with her. Don't worry, my Big Boy, she knows we are with her, it's going to be OK, she feels our love".
Charley and Rally- Work in progress, acrylic on canvas, 36 x 24.
Attachments
Rally-Charley Portrait WIP.jpg
Rally-Charley Portrait WIP.jpg (68.8 KiB)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Gallery: View Gallery

Barb

Postby rrsum » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Barb,
I'm sorry to hear about the losses you've had and your own illness you've had to struggle through. I know though, that Charley and Rally are together again, and they are both watching over you. Not a doubt in my heart.
You're doing the best thing and that's dealing with your feelings. Expressing them by creating a tribute on canvas is awesome. Don't be afraid to grieve while you paint! It will be very therapuetic for you.
I know this, because I lost my mother almost a year ago. She had a couple of paintings she had started and asked me to finish. For a few months I couldn't do it. Once I did however, it helped me settle the feelings I had. I know now she's helping guide my
ushes when I paint.
I'd be willing to bet Charley is doing the same for you, with Rally at his side.
You've got a great start here. I can't wait to see the finished painting!

May God Bless...

Rich
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby BYart » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Rich,
Thank you. There is no doubt that they are guiding me and keeping a watchful eye.
I'm sorry for your loss as well, I know the pain, but when things seem darkest, a glimmer of light begins to shine...
ighter and
ighter, each day...we must focus on that sunshine...and keep painting.
I did a bit more today, I'm not a people portrait painter, so this is difficult in many ways, but my only hope is that I can do my Charley justice.
Tomorrow I will do his glasses and more work.
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!
Attachments
Rally-Charley Portrait #3.jpg
Rally-Charley Portrait #3.jpg (186.93 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Barb, good to have you back. So sorry about your Charley and Rally. This is a very special painting for you, looking forward to the finished work.
Erika Takacs

Postby BYart » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks Erika! It's nice to be back as I've missed posting and commenting on everyone's fabulous pieces. I've missed all the helpful tips and advice on my own works as well, and look forward to regaining that type of exchange, as well as making friends here!
This piece is hard for me, but I should say I welcome critiques as I'm always wanting to see and hear another's point of view of my work.
Thanks.
Barb

BYart

Postby bpier » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi Barb. Nice to have you back and I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I'm sure that because this piece hold so much meaning that it's going to turn out wonderful. You have a great start on it.

Brian
bpier

Postby BYart » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks Brian,
it's nice to be back! So much fabulous artwork has been created by you all since I've been gone! I've been looking through some of the recent posts and there is soooo much talent on this forum it's just awesome!

Did alot of changes and I think now I'm more comfortable with Charley's face. I'm putting this one aside now(well it will have a place atop my mantle), I'm drained and need to move on. I think Charley would be pleased, at least I hope so.
Attachments
Rally-Charley Portrait #5.jpg
Rally-Charley Portrait #5.jpg (183.21 KiB)
Barb

BYart

Postby bergina » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Byart,
My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband and now Great Dane. I think your painting is awesome and quite a tribute.
Al
bergina

Postby BYart » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Al,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
My husband, Charley was an awesome soul, and I know in my heart that no painting I can do, would do him justice, but I think he would be smiling at my attempt.
He had a radiance about him...kind, loving and he loved our dogs as much as I. Rally was his favorite, and though I literally cussed him(Charley), when I tragically lost Rally, I know they are watching over me, and so I go on.
Why cuss him, you may wonder? I loved Charley with all my heart and yes...my soul. Losing him was the hardest thing I've ever been through in my life, and Rally...that was the second hardest. I've been through alot of challenges since my loss of Charley, and it seemed(at the time), that just as I was recovering from one of those challenges, then POW...I lost Rally.
I thought it very unfair, that they now are together, and me...I'm still here.
Then as has happened in the past...the rest of my dogs recognized my grief, and made certain I knew they were still here, loving me.
Slobbery kisses...I can live with(for) that.
Barb

BYart

Postby krysta11 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Hello Barb,

I think your painting will find its place on the wall soon. Very, very nice.
Happy to see you posting again.
Be strong!
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby BYart » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks K.
Barb

BYart

Postby arlenemurals » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 am

I have learned that when painting something like this , a toning layer to get rid of such a stark background will help you find youur values. If you start by blocking in your darks with a sepia toned "under painting" you will be getting rid of all that white and your values will be easier to see. This works especially well when painting skin tones.
arlenemurals

Postby Harmonygirl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 am

Barb,

My heart to you. I wish you strength and love to you. Like Krysta said be strong. And you said the light gets
ighter each day.

Your painting is beautiful. Take your time painting it, it will help heal.

love
shannon
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl