A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

wip my ROBOT color progress

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

wip my ROBOT color progress

Postby weirdpuckett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Hey all...Heres where I'm at with the color of This Robot drawing...I am Wanting to make the sky a bit more "vaporous" ...I was thinking dark ,rolling clouds with green edges or something..

any comments helpful..Mike
Attachments
08-21-08 WIP ROBOT COLOR.jpg
08-21-08 WIP ROBOT COLOR.jpg (150.56 KiB)
weirdpuckett

Gallery: View Gallery

sorry about two pics ..I only intended one..

Postby weirdpuckett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Sorry y'all..
weirdpuckett

Postby krysta11 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:00 am

Hi Mike,
I love your robot very much. Color composition is great. I wish to read more comments , from experienced artists, about your work. It is time consuming painting.
all the best Mike
krysta
Art must be an ORDER from Heaven
krysta11

Postby BAReam » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Sorry to bear bad news... feel you went much too dark overall. It seems the subject is overpowered by the foreground and the background. It's too bad too; I really, really liked the black and white version... the drawing and concept was very good. If it is watercolor maybe you could do some scrubbing and lifting-out to save it?

Be well...
uce

looking some more you might try some highly diluted yellow ocher washes in the foreground to separate color harmonies and values. The wash should give a color range from blue to ocher to
own... just a thought.
BAReam

Postby weirdpuckett » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:47 am

thanks for the honest critiques..I feel kinda like I blew it when I added color to this....My wife talked me outta having a "burn the painting " ceremony .....I have thrown away alot of paintings in my time and I now feel that burning them gives me a more satisfactory..I wont burn this one though....
weirdpuckett

Postby Erika Takacs » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:54 am

weirdpuckett wrote:thanks for the honest critiques..I feel kinda like I blew it when I added color to this....My wife talked me outta having a "burn the painting " ceremony .....I have thrown away alot of paintings in my time and I now feel that burning them gives me a more satisfactory..I wont burn this one though....

Your wife is right to talk you out of it. The painting is good, keep working on it. I like the reds and oranges, they give a hellish feel, make the robot dangerous. The problem to me seems to be the purple landscape, a different colour might work better.

It's a very interesting painting, but very difficult to see the details of the robot. I agree with Bruce,somehow try to
ing it forward. You can delete the picture you don't need, if you click on the edit button on top of your post.
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 am

For next time: Always make good scans or copies of your work and use those to try the colors and techniques before working on the master.
DLKeur

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 am

Your wife is right to talk you out of it. The painting is good, keep working on it. I like the reds and oranges, they give a hellish feel, make the robot dangerous. The problem to me seems to be the purple landscape, a different colour might work better.
Erika Takacs

Postby william » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:00 pm

DON"T BURN IT!!!!!!!! Robot's very dramatic... the background would work if it was less intense, try a really dark green outline, like lot's of black but enough green to compliment the red. and if you used acrylic, a simple wask of color might put the red sky in place. THe composition is too good to let a little thing like color get to you.
Be Good

William
william