A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

One I'm working on...

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

One I'm working on...

Postby schoonsart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 pm

more like staring at. lol. This will be a mixed media art quilt. The images and text were created with the cyanotype process. Right now the size is 15" x 14.5". Its "sister" piece is called Tiny Boxes.
Attachments
Tinyboxes.jpg
Tiny Boxes
Tinyboxes.jpg (39.71 KiB)
untitled.jpg
Untitled, work in progress
untitled.jpg (87.53 KiB)
schoonsart

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:06 pm

This looks very interesting. What actually is the media involved in making this quilt? What is the process? I don't really know much about this style of art.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby schoonsart » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Well, I had a long explanation all typed out to answer your questions, but the site timed me out and I lost everything so here is the short answer.

Art quilts are typically defined by having at least two pieces of fa
ic pierced through, ie quilted, each layer by, usually, thread and/or yarn. After that, anything goes. This organization has some good examples: http://www.saqa.com/

I personally use this definition for my work and then add whatever media with help me express my idea/design. In the past, I have used paint, markers, photos, paper, metal, foil, glass beads, etc. One is only limited by one's imagination and, perhaps, finances. lol.

What you see here is my base, just like a blank canvas, to which I will add the other layers of content/design. This base was created by sewing two piece of fa
ic together. The piece on the left, is a type of fa
ic used in traditional, functional quilting. All I have done to it so far is cut and sew it. The other piece is a cyanotype on fa
ic that I created with photographic negatives, transparencies and lace. Go here for more information on cyanotypes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotype
schoonsart