A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

WIP...new beach scene...lol

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

WIP...new beach scene...lol

Postby xxbreezy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:32 am

I know...not another beach sketch...lol!!! Just addicted I guess!! Still have alot to do. Hopefully I can finish it before I go home on the 6th. There is more space in the foreground that is showing in the pic. Comments welcome
Attachments
HPIM2182.jpg
HPIM2182.jpg (64.38 KiB)
xxbreezy

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby KarinPavlic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:30 pm

I love seascapes...
Anyhow, I think you are doing great. And on second note: If you like or love to paint something then you should do it even if you already did it. ;)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
KarinPavlic

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:12 pm

XX, it's a very nice work. I like what you did with the water and sand. Very delicate. To go with it, I'd suggest make the tree trunka bit thinner. You did an excellent job otherwise.
Last edited by Erika Takacs on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erika Takacs

Postby saphyre » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 pm

I like this picture alot but I'm not loving the palm tree at all. I'm sorry, it's just my opinion that it takes to much focus away from the rest of the picture. Maybe a couple of lounge chairs or something instead, but it might be to late to make such a huge change. Fantastic job overall anyways, can't wait to see the end. ^.^ :D
In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This is the law, ancient and inexhaustable. ~the Dhammapada
saphyre

Postby xxbreezy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks everyone and these are great suggestions. First, let me tell you that this is just the "top" half of my pastel sketch. I'm sure thats why the palm tree looks off. Palm trees are all shape and sizes but some adjustment may be needed here. Yes....I was also thinking of adding a couple beach chairs once I fill in the left side some more. I am putting a "closed" beach building...for lack of better term...under the palm. But not sure I like that yet so I stopped there for the night. I have alot of work yet today and I really appreciate these suggestions. I was at a kind of stand still....trying to think where I wanted to go with this sketch. You all helped alot...thanks so much. Keep those suggestions coming!!!!
xxbreezy

Postby xxbreezy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:12 am

ok....you were right ....thinned the palm out and looks MUCH better...will post when I get a little further. Thanks again
xxbreezy

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:26 am

Breezy, lookin' good! I like the palm tree but thinning out
the trunk is not a bad idea. Also, what do you think of
lightening up the color of the palm a little bit so it won't
stand out so much from the rest of your picture?
BTW I love the sand and the dune grass. E
ehoeveler

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:21 am

Thanks Ev...have been looking at the palm...considering your suggestion. I think the top part of the palm could be a little lighter as you say. I'm afraid if I lighten it up too much that it would throw off the "darks" in my sketch. Was trying to keep it balanced. Any suggestion on this thought is welcome.I'm posting the sketch as it is now and again....this shot is like 2/3rds of the sketch so I still have alot to do. Also, the horizon is actually straight on my sketch just didn't get a good angle shot I guess. Anyway, thanks for all the tips...all of you!!
Attachments
HPIM2208.jpg
Rocky beach sketch...phase 2
HPIM2208.jpg (59.99 KiB)
xxbreezy

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:41 pm

You're gonna kill me. Tha palms look wonderful
(go ahead and add the rest of the palm in that
white-out area) but take out those wood stumps,
they detract from your nice shoreline and
you'll have a beauty of a picture! E
ehoeveler

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:26 pm

LOL Ev!!! No I'm not gonna kill ya...had something in mind when I put that in there but as you say...it just doesn't fit. I guess if I really had some idea where I was going with this entire sketch it would make things easier. LOL!!! Still a little of the "artist block" lingering I guess!! Thanks Ev.
xxbreezy

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:48 pm

You bet. Been there many times myself. E
ehoeveler