A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Eternal Beauty II

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Eternal Beauty II

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:59 am

Good morning. It took me about eleven hours within a two day period of time to finish this drawing. I am playing with the idea of doing the pastel type underpainting, or maybe skipping it because I am not sure I need to like I did in the Eternal Beauty painting. I might start Eternal Beauty III today until the pastel underpainting approach decision is made. Ponder, ponder and more ponder. Moving on. There may be only two or three posts of the finished painting by each significant finished stage because if the viewer wants to see the process I refer them to the detailed process of Eternal Beauty. We shall see how that works. I plan to finish my nude painting phase with Eternal Beauty III and move on to something else. It is occurring to me that lessons learned from nude painting are directly applicable to still life paintings. The bold form with subtle color exchanges to describe that form seems to be what is needed for me to do form description in the still life genre. Have to ponder that also. There is one post of the completed drawing.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Eternal Beauty II

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:01 pm

This one is a great composition Carl. I am kind of in favor of either working in color.. or simply keeping it in graphite .. but really working the depths in... I could go either way too on this one.... hmmm... Ponder indeed!
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Good afternoon Jenn. I resolved my problem two days ago. It will be an oil painting. Letting the background dry before I go in and correct a few bobbles and smears. I also decided to record the painting process as I have made a few discoveries I want to remember by recording the event while fresh in my mind. The drawing part preparing for the painting is pretty much defined and limited by my current skills so I don't think I need to rehash that part at this time. Should I make some new discovery with the drawing process I will record it. With any luck and time available, I will be posting the painting process done so far. Thanks for the composition comment. I think I have a pretty good balance between the positive and negative spaces on this one.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Look foward to see where you take it.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks Jenn. Me too. Can't wait for the conversation to start.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:29 am

Good morning. Well I will post nine painting process updates today. I think I have discovered, at least for me, how to make a really dark background that kind of looks black but isn't. It is a mixture of deep dark purple and raw umber. Once this was laid in I started lightening it with burnt sienna and kept lightening it down the painting. I lightened the sienna with cadmium yellow to keep the rich color. White would have chalked it out and I wanted the sienna brilliance. I separated the dark background from what I wanted as a visual floor plane with straight raw umber to give a faded presentation while at the same time describing the different planes of the solid surface that the figure was laying on from the infinity of the dark space above the floor plane. In order to now maintain a visual balance within the painting the ivory colored oval cloth was painted in under the figure to enlarge the lighter colors space that contrasts against that almost overpowering darkness behind the form. Once I get the colors painted into the figure we shall see if that was the right decision or not. So far I think it will work, but maybe not. I just love the challenge of solving the problems I create in the process of painting. I am always striving to make a painting look like the, "well of course, that is what it is supposed to look like, effortless and natural causing the next thought of, "so what was the problem with making this painting?", looks good to me.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Good afternoon. I have done a lot of learning since the last post. I had to lay in the base flesh tone color over the unpainted section of the form and let it dry so that I could paint on it. The varnish over the drawing prevented a straight application of painting because the paint just slid around ad didn't really stick. A thin application of the flesh tone oil paint thinned with the turpentine dried quickly and was thin enough for me to see the pencil drawing under the paint. It also served as the base that accepted the oil paint. The next thing I finally found after a half century of searching, a half century sounds cooler that 50 years, off and on of course, the combinations for creating skin tones I wanted. From this discovery I can now explore the other wonderful skin colors of humanity. That in and of itself is exciting to me. I have never been satisfied with my work on blacks and Asians. Looking forward to that challenge. Moving on. There are six progress posts today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am

Looking Great, Carl.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks Jennifer. I will be doing an updated posting today.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Good afternoon all. Continuing the form. I am painting this one by doing the form sections in the back sections first then the sections that overlay the ones in the rear. Kind of like I have mentioned before in my landscape paintings. Just keep laying in the background building forward until nothing is left to paint. Here are the two progress posts for today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Great tonal work... good sense of depth and curve.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for your comments and attention Jennifer.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Good afternoon. Boring and thrilling at the same time. Boring in that I have developed a production form pattern of sorts. Identify the shaded areas, and fill them in. Then add the lighter colors to give the rounded effect. Repeat and move on. Repeat and move on. Thrilling in that I see the form "Become" in front of my eyes. Where nothing was a shape now exists. It is the driving force to finish to see what the final painting looks like. I am now entering my stage of development where it is becoming more interesting to see what manifests over what I have pictured in my mind. Making an accurate shape representation is no longer a struggle. The struggle now has shifted to the final presentation involving more of an esthetic attraction than a visual representation. Interesting. As one plane of existence is conquered, another plane presents itself. Moving on. There are five progress posts today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Good afternoon. Had a little time to work on this today. There are two progress posts.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Good afternoon. Walking this painting down to the finish. There are six progress posts today. I thought it was important to post four progress posts on the arm as a little more visual detail for the progression of the shading.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Good evening. I have finished the hands. I decided to do three progress posts so as to better demonstrate the development. I am closing in on the finish.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Good afternoon. Been busy. Had many problems with shading, form description and sizing. So, just kept at it taking pictures along the way but not stopping to explain the development for fear that I would loose momentum. It is finished. There are thirteen progress posts. Going to take a break for a little while before I decide what to do next. Hope you enjoy this one and maybe have picked up a tip or idea along the way.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Really coming together, Carl. Looks great.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks Joe.
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Very well done... love the rich warm colors.

Jennifer Erin
jenn_iam

Next