A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Greek Goddess's of Air Earth Fire and Water

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Greek Goddess's of Air Earth Fire and Water

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:30 am

Good morning. It appears I am not ready to start the sixth painting of the Grand Canyon yet. So, I have started this collection of portraits I am identifying as the personification of the goddesses of air, earth, fire and water. I am placing the goddess of air as the last drawn entry because I am still working on it. The drawings of the earth, fire and water are finished. After I finish the goddess of air I will start the painting process on all four. I just love Greek mythology. It is so rich. Of course all mythologies are rich, but the Greek mythology is the basis of western culture. So, I kind of think it is the most important one, at least to me, a western civilization kind of guy.

The goddess of earth is Gaia. This drawing started out as Cassandra in another post but somehow demanded that the post was wrong. It wanted to be with her sisters. I am going to leave that post just to show that it is ok the change your mind now and then.

There is no goddess for fire. Hestia is the goddess of the hearth. I kind of like that.

Amphitrite is the goddess of the oceans and seas.

Hemera is the goddess of the morning and blue sky.

Now the posts. I hope you enjoy viewing them. I enjoyed making them.

Took me a couple of days to finish Hemera. Some drawings take more steps than others. In my mind I identify a step as a significant pause in the production causing me to ponder what to do next. Hemera took six such pauses. I am adding the last drawing posts here for organizational purposes. I want all the drawings collected together on this post before I start painting.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Greek Goddess's of Air Earth Fire and Water

Postby Pinstearn » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 am

Beautifully done!! Your drawings really have some mediterranean feel to it, I can tell by just looking at those women :)
Pinstearn

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Thank you Laurie. I have added the last developmental drawings. The drawing phase is now finished. Your Mediterranean feel comment is most interesting. You have an eye alright. These models were retrieved from a Portuguese online website company. The site was advertised on this site about a month or so ago. Name of the site is myartmodels.com.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:09 am

Good morning. This post has all four together in one picture. It is the end of the drawing stage. All four together pictured on my easel is the beginning of the painting stage. Now the next adventure begins. Will I hit or miss? We shall see. Oh yes critiques along the way are permissible and will be appreciated.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:16 am

Carl. Beautifully done drawings. How are you planning to tie them in with the Greek Goddess idea? At the moment they are very nicely done portraits but nothing hints at the Greek Goddess message. Something in the background, perhaps? Or maybe you can be a little more subtle, such as a piece of jewelry, for instance.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Good afternoon Joseph. Thank you for your comments. However, I will wait a bit before I respond to your questions and perceptions. My concept is not in concert with traditional Christian western philosophical idealization of god like representations.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Oh, I certainly wasn't expecting you to adhere to any religious portrayals. Just something that would connect them to the beings they are repesenting. Something that would set them apart from a simple portrait. Good drawings. By the way. You did get my Happy Birthday greeting, right?
Pooch

Postby Pooch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Oh, by the way. I see we are competitors, you and I. I entered my otter painting in the Animal Planet contest. I noticed that you put your Grand Canyon deer in there, also. I have never entered my work in any competition before. But, I figure, why not. I can use 150 dollars of art supplies. Let's see what happens.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Good evening Joseph. I did get your birthday greeting. Failed to respond with the thank you, so thank you. I was really trying to ignore the birthday day. It will be interesting to see the winning work in the animal contest. There are already several very good paintings entered. Again, thank you for your comment about the drawings. It will be fascinating if I can pull off the concept I am chasing with these portraits.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:44 am

Good morning. My sister-in-law will be visiting us for the next week, so, it is possible I will not be painting for about a week. So this post may be the only one for that time period, or not, we shall see. I have decided to keep the posting order of the subjects as presented in the drawings postings. There are six posts of Gaia to start with.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:21 am

Good morning. Had enough time yesterday to do some more painting. So, I laid in the dark shadows of the hair and worked on the feathered ear decorations. There are three posts today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am

Good morning. Got some time to work before my wife and sister-in-law got up. These are the posts. Hair is a little to red and still needs more work before I am satisfied before I deal with any hair highlights. The base flesh tone may be a little difficult to notice, so the viewer will really have to look for it on the last post.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Pinstearn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 am

CarlOwen wrote:Thank you Laurie. I have added the last developmental drawings. The drawing phase is now finished. Your Mediterranean feel comment is most interesting. You have an eye alright. These models were retrieved from a Portuguese online website company. The site was advertised on this site about a month or so ago. Name of the site is myartmodels.com.

Ah, interesting! I knew those facial features felt more Mediterranean. Haven't heard of this website yet but I'll be sure to check it out! Maybe it'll help me with my drawings as well :)
Pinstearn

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 am

Good morning. Got some more done yesterday. Wife and sister-in-law are slowing down on the run around wanting to see things. Now spending time visiting and talking. Gives me time to exit stage left, so to speak. I darkened the dark parts of the hair a little more. Still have to work on the red highlights. Got the background how I wanted it, so that part I consider finished. Only one post today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 am

Good morning. I got to work a couple of hours yesterday. I got tired of not seeing her. So I started painting the face. I will come back to the hair later. There are three posts today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 am

Love it, Carl. Love it!
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks Joe. It looks like this one is going to be a very long post. Didn't think about that when I started because I wanted all four to stay together. Hope that doesn't cause any problems.
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am

CarlOwen wrote:Thanks Joe. It looks like this one is going to be a very long post. Didn't think about that when I started because I wanted all four to stay together. Hope that doesn't cause any problems.

No problems at all.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 am

Good morning. Yesterday was a stay at home day resting and with sister to sister stuff. Had time to paint. There are five posts today. Got a lot done. You know, that Richeson flesh tone oil paint is really good for laying down a base coat letting it dry for a couple of days and then using it as the base medium for mixing different flesh tones and values. I will be using this a lot on any portrait or figure painting. Moving on. I still have a lot of work left to do on this one. I now have to attend to the feathered ear rings and bring some highlights back into the hair.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 am

Well, things just clicked. Less work than I expected. Gaia is finished. Now on to Hestia. There are three posts on this comment entry. Observations and critiques are welcome of course.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Next