A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Greek Goddess's of Air Earth Fire and Water

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Greek Goddess's of Air Earth Fire and Water

Postby Singular » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:32 pm

She looks great, Carl. Look at those eyes and that hair. Really jumps out. Nice work.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks Joe. I think I am back in the groove after my temper tantrum. I have lots left to do, of course.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Good afternoon. Five posts today. I tried to make the posts so a person can see the beginning of each developmental stage. Will have to wait a bit now for drying time before I return to the hair and some minor tweaking.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Looks great Carl. You're having better luck than I am at the moment. Now I'm in the situation you just got out of. Been working on something for the last three days that I'm just about ready to give up on. I done lost the mojo for a while.
It'll come back. I may just need a break. But, good work on your girls. The last one seems, um....well...healthy.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks Joseph. Sometimes we do push it don't we? Guess we all go brain dead from time to time. Hemera healthy? Yes.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Good afternoon. Hemera is finished. Will start on Aphrodite tomorrow. Might take a nap this afternoon There are four progress posts.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:21 am

Good morning. Amphitrite got off to a rough start. I worked on the hair a little and finished the background while I was waiting for Hemera to dry in between the painting steps. As I was laying in the background I got the idea that the seas the further away from Amphitrite should be more violent since the ancient Greeks usually prayed to her for calm seas and safe passage. I included that as a post to show what a humongous mistake that was. Good idea, I think. But lousy visual impact. It caused mental discord from looking at pallet knife strokes to smooth brush strokes. It also challenged the importance of the head by making me bounce my view up and down between the violent sea and the portrait head. I fixed it the next day. The second huge mistake was that I had shortened the forehead three quarters of an inch! Three quarters! I need to go back to drawing 101 for a mistake that big. That mistake threw off all the angles and planes of the face. No wonder I was having such trouble with the features. The third issue was that it seemed that in order for me to see the shading in the form I had to do all the shading together instead of the face then the neck then the torso chest area. Again it became visually discordant to see only shading for form description only in the face and not being able to picture how it fit with the rest of the form. So, I bounced around shading different areas of the total form. That was boring and threatening at the same time. It appears that Amphitrite will be a challenge up to the last brush stroke. There are 11 progress posts.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am

Good morning. There are 5 posts today. I think it is coming along nicely, although there are difficult problems to solve at each stage. I considered changing the background to blues. But wanted to see what it would look like once the hair was completed. Once the hair was done next to the green background and some more shading done in the face and neck I decided to leave the background green. This one looks like it will have a brooding feeling to it. Will keeping working on it until it is done. There is no try, only do or do not and failure is not an option. Moving on. Here are the posts.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 am

Good morning. Three posts today. Again, a little different from what I have done in the past. Worked primarily on the eyes. I usually do one at a time. This one demanded I work on both at the same time. I bounced between them until one was finished and then the other. I think I will keep this technique as I think it improved the color balance and proportions better than the old way of finishing one before I started the other. It is satisfying to me to continue to learn.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 am

Good morning. Remember I said I had missed the forehead in the drawing? Well, it caused all kinds of adjustments in the painting with sizes of shapes, shading issues and total face length and chest area. Took awhile to basically redraw the portrait with paint. There are nine posts. I am finished. Going to take a little break before I start painting again. It is that brain healing time thing. Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Good evening. I am placing all four finished and framed paintings together to finish off the product production part of this post. Enjoy.
CarlOwen

Postby ivo55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 am

Amazing talent... Extraordinary attention to details. Impressive work on the hair.
ivo55

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ivo55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 am

Quite a senescence filling looks. They looks as fragments from a fresco form Italy.
ivo55

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am

Again thank you for taking a look and for you comments Ivanov. Interesting observation about the aging. The first one looks the youngest while actually Gaia is the oldest of this goddess group as well as Amphitrite (I got mixed up naming this one Aphrodite) looking the oldest is the youngest of these goddess. And to compare these to any type of Italian art is an honor. Thank you.
CarlOwen

Previous