A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Seascape

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Seascape

Postby Pooch » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 am

So there I was painting those rocks from my Moose painting, again. Was actually thinking of redoing the painting. Changed my mind but the rocks were done and they looked nice. Maybe I can use them, again, I'm thinking. Then, an epiphany. A seascape!
Not quite finished yet. That's why it's in "Works In Progress." I originally had a huge, dramatic, wave crashing against those large rocks on the right. But I didn't like it. Think it needs it?
A little more work to do. I'm considering making that sky a bit more stormy. Or maybe it's done. Opinions are more than welcome.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Seascape

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Well crap and all that stuff Joseph. Have we become connected? This is day three that I have been working on a shoreline. Actually, this is only the third sea or lake scape I have done in my life, not counting the Santa Rosa Lake collection. Which of course makes it a very rare piece of work. While taking a nap after having breakfast I awoke so suddenly speaking out the words, "owe, that hurt!" My wife sitting next to me working on her Christmas crafts jerked with surprise and asked if I was OK. I told her the image vision I just had was so sharp and developed it hurt my left eye. I saw a completed painting sitting in a ornate gold frame. She said to the effect, "What are you waiting for? Go do it." I hemmed and hauled for a few minutes saying all the reasons it would be a waste of time, then went to my studio and worked for about five hours laying in the sky and clouds. The following day I worked laying in the water. Today I worked on the shoreline. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. So, I know what you are talking about when you say "an epiphany". Now to the critique with suggestions.

First, I would leave the sky alone and do some kind of demarcation line and shadow on the water surface to separate it from the sky. Then move down to the lower left and introduce some aquamarine in various color intensities to give the surface foam a grounding to support a sense of depth. Next some shading with again various aquamarine colors and some dark blues just under the white breaking waves to add depth and body to the surf. As the last adjustment, I would top that big rock on the right with an additional mix of yellow ochre and white to make a kind of straw color to show some drama on how light defines the form. Do some same straw color on a few of the other rocks, with varying intensities and volumes of course, leaving the big rock on the right as the dominate feature. Hum, that's about it.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Carl. By the time I had read your critique I had already made some minor changes to the sky. Hardly noticeable, though, for some reason. On the original it shows up more clearly.
I can see where some of the waves could use some darkening. I was actually doing that but as you know, with oils, it's harder to darken than it is to lighten once the paint is down. Hence, of course, the need to always lay down darks first and then lights. I'll let it dry a bit and try again.
The horizon, though, I'll leave alone. I think that the viewer is standing at a point where the waves are cresting above it. I think that a straight line going across the scene may interrupt all of that foamy chaos I have going on out at sea.
I'm showing it in "Just Showing" but, of course, that certainly doesn't mean it's done!
And since I started this a few days ago, it would seem that we were working on our seascapes at the same time. And for me, it's my first seascape. Scary!
Well, we're heading out for the day. I'll jump in here tomorrow and read any answers. Thanks.
Pooch

Postby Sarararah » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi pooch,
Is the focus of this painting the stone? The water is so blue and clean, I like this. I saw some seascape oil painting in www.per-art.com, seascape there is more focus on ships and lighthouses, which is impressionstic style.
Sarararah

Postby Pooch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks for taking a look. I have since made changes to this. Here's the finished result. I thought the sky needed some ooomph.
Attachments
Pooch

Postby Alison555 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 am

Pooch wrote:Thanks for taking a look. I have since made changes to this. Here's the finished result. I thought the sky needed some ooomph.

I like your work! As for the sky, I should agree, maybe it is better to make it a little bit different from the sea, I mean in order to see the line of horison. But in general, this is a great job!
Alison555

Postby ivo55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 am

How dramatic... it gives you and emotion.
ivo55

Blog: View Blog (1)