A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Pecos Wilderness

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Pecos Wilderness

Postby CarlOwen » Tue May 30, 2017 8:02 am

Good morning. While working on Grand Canyon V and having to wait for paint drying time, a painting I did in 2015 popped into my mind. At the time I posted it I was rather pleased with it thinking it was finished. You know what they say about a painting never being finished unless it is sold and removed from the studio. Well, in this case that is true. I made changes to the painting that I did two years ago using the lessons I have learned within those two years. You see, I have learned how to make more defined shapes by, usually darkening, but sometimes lightening, the edges of the lines created by the pallet knife with a fine brush and doing the scrubbling method Flemish renaissance artists used. There are three posts. One shows the painting I thought I had finished. The second shows the first step, and the third shows the now finished painting. I think. Maybe those mountains need some work.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Pecos Wilderness

Postby www-ksart-se » Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 am

It was fine before. But it realy got a lift now. And the high lights on the bush make it stand it more. Well done.
www-ksart-se

Postby CarlOwen » Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank You Kristian. I always appreciate comments.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Wed May 31, 2017 2:29 pm

Owen, this is good! One critique I would make ( and you remember what I said about telling me to shut up and mind my own business) is the way those clouds come to a sudden stop on the left side of the painting. Something disconcerting about it. Maybe if they continued all the way to the end with breaks in them showing sky coming through. Maybe it's just me.
But this is really good.
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you for your critique Joseph. Sometimes a storm can move in so fast and the sky is so large in New Mexico that the cloud front can look like a wall advancing into a perfectly blue sky. I tried to capture that movement. The other thing is that Santa Fe is 7,000 feet above sea level. Middle clouds are typically around 9,000 to 16,000 feet here. Some would dispute that, but it is almost like looking directly at them instead of up at them. The Pecos wilderness is just east of Santa Fe around 50 miles. Santa Fe is on the backside of the mountain chain in the middle of the painting. Santa Fe Baldy is a little over 12,000 feet putting these clouds in the 14,000 foot range. Pecos, NM is about the same elevation as Santa Fe, maybe a little higher. One of the most remarkable topological views, at least to me, are the Pecos river bluffs. You are actually looking at old sea beds eons old. These are the inspirations for this painting. I can live with the disconcerting element you identify. I think the unsettled feeling enhances an otherwise sedate scene.
CarlOwen

Postby chneyswhite » Wed May 31, 2017 10:38 pm

It's really nice ranbefore from the Lines, shadows, and the details of the tree.
looking forward to your new works.
chneyswhite

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:04 am

Thank you for your comments Milo. Take a look at Grand Canyon V painting. It is finished.
CarlOwen