A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Bridge and Boat diorama

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Bridge and Boat diorama

Postby St.Luke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:37 am

Late last year the Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum (Australia) received an antiquated console that operated a lift-span bridge.
The museum staff knew about my background in electronics. They asked if it were possible for the console to operate a model bridge.
After I said yes, I got roped into being a volunteer worker for the museum. Now my job is to modify the console and to build a model bridge.
However, I requested that I would be given liberty to create the display however I wanted to.
They gave me the okay and all the time to do it.
I thought 'Great!' Here is my chance to build my first model and diorama. And it will be a working diorama.

However, I once read that a sculpture should not move because one day it won't move anymore. Tell that to Alexander Calder!
Taking that into consideration, my plan is to make a diorama that would be good enough to stand on its own as a piece of artwork.
So my task is to build a museum quality artwork-display.

To follow this Work In Progress will involve seeing a fair bit of structural work, electronics, and mechanics.
Since I am taking the project to a form of artwork, I have also decided to use the console for a diorama of electrical wiring.

For starters, I will show what the basic plan is. Then the following posts will show what I have done so far. The dioramas are half finished.

This is the console and control panel layout:

This is the actual bridge the console came from:

The display area given to me is 1.2 x 2.4 m (4 x 8 ft), without the console.
For the whole bridge to fit in, the scale had to be 1/72. The whole project is scratch build; i.e.,I have to design and make plans for everything.

To be continued.
St.Luke

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Bridge and Boat diorama

Postby Pooch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

As a model railroader and model builder, I can't wait to see this. By the way, that bridge looks awfully familiar. Is that in central Florida?
Pooch

Postby St.Luke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Hello Pooch. Thank you for your support.
Pooch wrote:... that bridge looks awfully familiar. Is that in central Florida?

You may be thinking of the Carlton Bridge at Bath, Maine, are you? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Bridge
If so, do you know what is to become of it?

However, to answer your question. No, it's the Wardell Bridge in north eastern NSW, Australia. It has no railway across it either.
St.Luke

Postby St.Luke » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm

To continue. The display table and its control box, which fits under the bridge area, needed to be built.
The slot across the tabletop is for guiding the traversing boat.

The control box has two access doors for servicing the bridge and boat motors, cabling, and circuitry.

Now for the bridge substructure:
The bridge pier footings.

Bridge piers.

Girders.

Acrylic undercoat.
The holes seen at the girder ends is for electrical wiring contact terminals. This is for the bridge span's internal electronics.

There are fender piers (aka dolphins) up and down stream from the bridge. The central pier of the outer dolphins contain navigational lights. These have a hole drilled through them to accommodate the these lights.

to be continued.
St.Luke

Postby Pooch » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:51 pm

1/72 scale is a pretty popular modeling scale. You might find some of the things you need such as vehicles and figures in a hobby store. 1/87, which is HO train scale, might even have been better. Tons of ready made things in that size. You might even have found bridge parts.
Are you going to model the water? If so, what are you planning on using?
Pooch