A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Grand Canyon V

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Grand Canyon V

Postby Pooch » Thu May 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Ah, well, I was tempted to turn my painting into a wildlife scene. Take a look over at "Just Showing" when you get a chance. Want to know what you think.
Pooch

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby CarlOwen » Thu May 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Done.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Tue May 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Good afternoon. Well fiddle, fiddle and faddle. I can't get past the six hour barrier. Worked three hours. Started at eight. Had breakfast around eleven. Took a short nap. Worked another three hours and my mind just stopped. When I saw some muddling going on in the painting and drew a mental blank, I knew it was the end of this day. Oh well, when the painting does not want to play anymore, the game is over for the day. We shall see what tomorrow brings. The color changes you see in the almost foreground is to introduce the up and close personal views of something a person can almost see definition of familiar forms. I will be adding tree shapes, suggestions and forms when this area dry. There are four progress posts today. Comments and critiques are always welcome.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am

Good morning. Working within my mind to mud time frame limitations I succeeded in advancing the progress on this painting with five posts. I took five pictures of the progress to record each, what I considered different thought steps, developmental process for what I think are the sequential steps to do this section of the painting. When I lay in the background and I want a more fluid color exchange I will paint over the wet paint with pallet knife strokes. It takes very light touches and strokes holding the knife as a surgeon would hold a scalpel. Took a couple of years to learn that. When I want bolder, truer colors and shapes I wait for the paint to dry before laying the next color of paint on the surface. At times I will drag the knife allowing the paint to catch in the nooks and crannies of the paint beneath. It adds shadows and textures. Whites, yellow ochre, sienna, and just about any red take more time to dry . So, while this is now in that drying stage and I want it dry before I take the next step I will be working on the drawing for Grand Canyon VI. Oh well, it will give me more time to think through the detailed stuff I want to put into that big open white space. Enjoy. And, critiques are always welcome.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby rothana » Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 am

thnaks this photos.

:D :D :D

gclub
rothana

Postby CarlOwen » Mon May 22, 2017 7:15 am

You are welcome Rothana, and thanks for taking a look and making a comment.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 am

Good morning. I have some time to do this post before the day's life business impedes. Well, it took only 4 days for it to dry enough to go back to work on it, so, I did. There are four posts today. I did cliff enhancements, land mass fill ins and tree impression forms. The cliff ridges through out the painting are done with very small portrait brushes in the 00 to 02 class by painting directly under the horizontal ridges to give that light popping edge. Colors used for this were raw umber and burnt sienna. The fourth post is what I call a peek-a-boo look. Sometimes it is just for fun and sometimes it helps me conceptualize the color field strengths, intensities and volumes.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Good afternoon. Four progress posts today. I am now working on the extreme foreground that shows up close the topology of the road section. There is more definition and an increase in size of the form elements in the groundwork, rocks and trees. I believe it enhances the feeling of depth for the viewer looking into the canyon. Want to do more. Can't. I have butted up against my mind mud six hour limit and the paint must dry before I can do more definition of the shapes. Enjoy.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Holy Smokes, Carl! You've been moving right along, haven't you? Yes, the stormy sky was most definitely the way to go. Looks as though the canyon is in for a bad one. It's looking very good and I'm sure you're happy with it. Unless you are like me and you mentally tear apart everything you do!
I haven't stopped in much because I've been painting. Finished a Wildlife painting that I posted in Showing.
Anyway, good work. How are you doing on that self imposed time limit for this? Was it all four done by the end of June?
Pooch

Postby CarlOwen » Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Good afternoon Joseph. I saw and commented on you stag painting. Thanks for your comments. Answer to you question about June. Sadly, no. Even if I could paint six hours a day, which is impossible in the summer time, I could not finish it before June 30. Not likely at all. But I am sure we both know that without setting a time line to accomplish a goal it will never be achieved. So, in my mind, I am thinking that Grand Canyon VI is in the category of production delays and cost over runs. Will it be finished? Yes.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Thu May 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Good evening. Well, I got to work on a spot that did not depend on drying paint as it was already dry. There are four trees in this painting where my reference photo had two with the foremost front tree at least twice the size of these trees. Looks good in the photo, but would have been way out of scale for this painting. You will see this solution in these two posts.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby www-ksart-se » Sat May 27, 2017 5:30 am

CarlOwen wrote: So, I have grown a hard shell that a Galapagos turtle would envy.

=D
www-ksart-se

Postby CarlOwen » Sat May 27, 2017 6:58 am

Good morning. Glad I made you smile.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 am

Good morning. Finally addressing the lower left blank space. Also cleaning up and adding more definition to the lower right and center foreground. While doing this it struck me what was wrong with the Pecos Wilderness painting I finished two years ago. So while some drying needed to happen on this one I dug the other one out and finished it, I think. There are two posts today.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed May 31, 2017 8:47 am

Good morning. There are five posts today. I got what I wanted with the colors, textures and sizes of the forms as the finishing touches. Going to take a break from painting for a few days to let my brain heal. This painting is finished.

Enjoy. Comments and critiques always welcome.
Attachments
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 am

looking really good, Carl.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you Joe. These things are taking me about three months each to produce. Going to take a break for awhile, how long I don't know. I have other stuff to do that needs to be done that can only be done in the summer time.
CarlOwen

Previous