A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

How do you put life into a "Still Life"?

Are you in the middle of a new piece? We would love to see your work as you progress through the finishing stages.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How do you put life into a "Still Life"?

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Thank you Jennifer. I discovered something while painting 'Life is good' that made my inner man do back flips. Will post that update tomorrow. Maybe, if I don't get called back to 'Life is good II' first. BBQ done well, having left overs tonight. Hope your evening leaves with the feeling that it has been a good day.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Bring It!!!!!!!!!
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:12 am

OK, now posting the next step. I am calling these steps as each mark a point where I have to quit and do the thinking thing before I proceed with the painting. Pausing and thinking for an hour or two or day or week actually is faster for me than blasting through and having to go through re-do's or throwing it away and starting all over. Elizabeth, see the pedals in the upper right corners of the flower facing you? The pedals are painted in by laying a paint loaded small round brush with a twisting or spinning of the brush in the direction of the pedal edge. It gives it that sharp color separation between the background and the surface of the pedal. It adds depth and texture from the paint varied levels created by this technique. There is no mistaking that this is a painting. It is the varied depths of the paint that makes light bounce around on the painted surface. That is what made my inner man do back flips. It makes me not disregard Still Life's so much. I think I can pull this one in making it have a static vibrancy worth looking at and enjoying the experience. Maybe. Have a long way to go for that. But the painting has now told me what it wants to be. Life is such a hoot!
Attachments
Life is Good step 6
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:48 am

Almost done. I think all I need to do now is the lettering in the label and my signature. Think my opinion about doing still life is changing. Thanks Frank for posting you last one. It was an inspiration as well as a work to study.
Attachments
Life is Good step 7
CarlOwen

Postby Singular » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Looks really great Carl.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks Joe.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:56 am

Started to work on Life is Good II. I am calling this a step because I am taking a think break and thought I would post this in process change. I have no idea how many think breaks this one will take. Learning a lot.
Attachments
Life is Good II step 6
CarlOwen

Postby jenn_iam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:01 pm

the grapes/wine and roses painting is coming along great.... what stands out to me is the texture difference in the brush strokes on the roses vs, the fruit... the fruit have been blended down, whereas the roses are still a bit rough for my liking... maybe that is me and possibly Im a bit torn...I envision roses as soft and velvety, but I also like the slightly impressionistic approach... perhaps marrying the two in a fashion with hit the mark. :)

for the flower/vase painting... this is coming along as well... I cant wait to see it when the cylindrical shapes have more depth and form... it will really pop then!!!
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Thank you Jennifer. I will be posting some updates tomorrow. These paintings are coming along slowly. Life is Good painting is based on a staged setup I took a photo of then used the grid method to draw it on a canvas. Life is Good II went straight from my mind to the canvas via my hand. Don't know which one will turn out better, or not.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:40 am

The first still life I have ever done in my life is finished. Just for fun I placed a secret in the painting. It will be interesting if anyone is curious enough to want to solve it. Happy hunting.
Attachments
Life is Good
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Yes. It is now finished and framed. Comments, critiques and observations are welcome if anyone chooses to do so, or not. I just hope you enjoy viewing this painting. Moving on. Going back to work on Life is Good II now as I haven't figured out the problems I have boxed myself into on the Selling Jewelry at the Governor's Palace just yet. I think I may have to cut my finest brush a whole lot thinner, maybe. Still deciding how fine or rough I want this painting.
Attachments
Life is Good - Framed
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:01 pm

P.S. I did think about shadows but decided not to do it because, one, it would have been a step closer to realism than I wanted to take. It is a knife's edge to walk that line between realism and abstraction. And, two, I did not want to change the eye movement directionality of most viewers. Current eye movement is first at the Glass then to the center flower. If you are right handed your eye will move up and to the right, then down, then to the bottle label, then to the grapes, then wander about, then do it all over again. This viewing will take less than three seconds. If you are left handed, you will start at the glass, jump over to the bottle label, down to the grapes and then up to the flowers. Same time frame.

Adding table shadows forces the eye to move in the direction of those shadows thereby destroying the initial spontaneity of the first look. Keeping the quality of spontaneity of first look at a still life is what I am thinking makes a still life have life. Most people always look at a painting exactly the same way each time based on their first view. To me, a painting is far more than just a picture hung on the wall. So, again, I hope you enjoy viewing this effort.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Just finished 'Selling Jewelry at the Governor's Palace'. I have placed it in my Portraits and Figures gallery.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:04 pm

The warmth and personality of fruit and flowers are
worth saving. You could revive this Southwestern beauty by leveling bottom of the clay vase,
straightening the ''gleam' on the right side of your wine glass and perfecting the type on the wine label.
That type the way you have it now marrs the whole look. Go ahead and white that out and first, 'pencil in'
the type to make sure it looks right. Just a few little changes...Great piece. E
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Thank you for your comments, observations an suggestions Elizabeth.
CarlOwen

Postby Aronhill » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 am

dont move it
Aronhill

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:20 am

Fun comment but to cryptic for me to understand. Care to add some more words?
CarlOwen

Postby jannatul18 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:41 am

The whole idea of capturing the still life through art is very impressive to me and you have done an amazing job on doing that. And I am wishing a speedy recovery of your wife as well :)
jannatul18

Postby CarlOwen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:06 am

Thank you for the clarification of your previous comment. I appreciate your valuation of my work. My wife has recovered nicely, thanks for your concern.
CarlOwen

Postby Derexbrown » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 am

it is hard for me to put into a still life
Derexbrown

Previous